What's new

US button

streakert

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2013
Messages
414
Reaction score
500
Golden Thread
0
Location
central Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Minelab CTX 3030,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only good find today out of a two hour hunt, but hey no complaints out of me.
Still trying to ID it. And also I am causes about cleaning it any help would be appreciated. I was thinking about hot peroxide and a toothbrush
 

Attachments

  • 1437687687208.webp
    1437687687208.webp
    34.6 KB · Views: 192
  • 1437687711496.webp
    1437687711496.webp
    114.8 KB · Views: 160
Upvote 28
Looks awesome. I wouldn't do anymore than you have. Great find
 
That's a great button. I wouldn't go any further.
 
OK on back I can make out HORSTMA... PHIL. CO
I am believing it to be an Federal Officer Staff Button. Made by Horstmann Brothers & Co PHIL,
I am guessing it's civil war era the shape of the shield and the fact that it has 7 stars on it baffles me I can't seem to find a match on the Net
 
Last edited:
Nice !!! I agree , would not clean it anymore :occasion14:
 
That's all I am doing just a quick peroxide bath
 

Attachments

  • 1437689757141.webp
    1437689757141.webp
    41.7 KB · Views: 163
That's in awesome shape! Congrats!
 
Congrats! It really cleaned up well, good luck with an ID!
 
I do know that Horstman only added the whole word Philadelphia on the back of the button after the civil war.
 
NEXT STOP SHOW CASE. ONE HECK OF A BUTTON FIND.
 
Very beautiful and detailed button, Congratulations!
 
I do know that Horstman only added the whole word Philadelphia on the back of the button after the civil war. I can not find one with 7 stars only 13?
 
Great find! Looks to be a post civil war general service button
 
Man, I love them old US eagle buttons! Does it still have the shank? Awesome find anyday!
 
Man, I love them old US eagle buttons! Does it still have the shank? Awesome find anyday!

No shank Bill, that's why I didn't post a pic. Most of the lettering is visible.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom