US Cavalry Accoutrement identification help

ShortbusElite

Jun 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I am having trouble narrowing this down. I am finding identical items to mine online where people say they were dug on other Civil War battlefields. I found mine on a well traveled road used in the Union escape about a mile from the Wilson Creek battle. Some people say these are as recent as WW1. Maybe I don't want to accept that these may not be Civil War era, I just struggle with them not being from that time when the history and location all add up to them being Civil War. What do you guys think? Worst case scenario I will take them to the museum there and ask the historians. Any help appreciated. 20180626_111103.jpeg 20180626_111032.jpeg

Upvote 0

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks to be pre WWII, I would think late 20's or 30's. I have never seen a CW piece have that type attachment to the leather, they were either attached with rivets, or were lead filled with an iron attachment bar.

D.

OP
OP
ShortbusElite

ShortbusElite

Jun 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ended up taking it to a Civil War museum a mile from the property where it was found. The curator confirmed it is in fact Civil War period. He took me in the back to show me similar examples. He was quite excited to see the shape it was in as well as the leather still being attached. 20180627_105802.jpeg 20180627_105809.jpeg 20180627_105909.jpeg 20180627_105830.jpeg Screenshot_20180626-133640_Google.jpeg

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going by how it attaches to the leather I will have to disagree with the curators assessment.

D.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmmm?

I hate it , but I must agree with Dharmacy on this one.

I Could be wrong tho, 'the US piece beside yours in one picture , how was it originally attached to the leather , as I can not see where the hooks broke off. ?

No matter what , It's a very nice find. I'd display it proudly.

P.S. I wish that I had some 'Drawers ' like the museum has to display my stuff.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice find whatever the age.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ended up taking it to a Civil War museum a mile from the property where it was found. The curator confirmed it is in fact Civil War period. He took me in the back to show me similar examples. He was quite excited to see the shape it was in as well as the leather still being attached. View attachment 1605809 View attachment 1605810 View attachment 1605811 View attachment 1605812 View attachment 1605813

Did you go to 'The Ray house'?
Or the Wilson's Creek Civil War Museum ?

OP
OP
ShortbusElite

ShortbusElite

Jun 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you go to 'The Ray house'?
Or the Wilson's Creek Civil War Museum ?
I went into the museum and was directed to a man in the back who identified himself as the curator.

OP
OP
ShortbusElite

ShortbusElite

Jun 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmmm?

I hate it , but I must agree with Dharmacy on this one.

I Could be wrong tho, 'the US piece beside yours in one picture , how was it originally attached to the leather , as I can not see where the hooks broke off. ?

No matter what , It's a very nice find. I'd display it proudly.

P.S. I wish that I had some 'Drawers ' like the museum has to display my stuff.
I asked about the tabs specifically and he pointed out the places I have circled commenting that "those oftentimes broke off." He stated that there were different types of attachment and although his button may not be an exact match, he was confident due to the location where it was found and the style of the rosette/accoutrement that it was time period for the battle. Screenshot_20180628-152106_Gallery.jpeg

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked about the tabs specifically and he pointed out the places I have circled commenting that "those oftentimes broke off." He stated that there were different types of attachment and although his button may not be an exact match, he was confident due to the location where it was found and the style of the rosette/accoutrement that it was time period for the battle. View attachment 1606217

Thank you for the extra info & time , I can see where he was talking about the attachments being.

Congratulations on a fine relic , please show us what else you recover in the future.
GD
Davers

OP
OP
ShortbusElite

ShortbusElite

Jun 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the extra info & time , I can see where he was talking about the attachments being.

Congratulations on a fine relic , please show us what else you recover in the future.
GD
Davers
You're welcome. All of the comments have really made me question the time period of my find. I of course want this thing to be from the Civil War. The man I spoke with at the museum had no doubt it was good for Civil War. Regardless of time period, I am glad I found it.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I stated before , I'd be Very Glad to have dug that piece , hope to someday.

I been 'let down' many times in my CW Relic hunting & with Fake rings' it's part of the Hobby.

Keep Swinging / Digging & you will find.

Any Military Relics are top's on my 'to Find' list.
Have a great Evening.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
ShortbusElite

ShortbusElite

Jun 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this about 20 feet from where I found the US brass accoutrement. I am seeing these listed as Civil War era as well. Is this more misinformation as well? Screenshot_20180628-190155.jpeg 20180623_115227.jpeg

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
It is a WWi era harness brass ..not Civil War. The other is a post war harness buckle cover.. not Civil War either.

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a good find regardless of its age. Don't take it as anyone is trying to discredit your find. Horse tack, rosettes, martingales, etc can be tricky to pin down a time frame to. My experience with items such as yours is that the attachment method has a distinct progression through the years. Civil War era being lead filled with an iron attachment bar, WWI era having a metal backing with iron attachment bar, and later pieces having the prongs made into the stamping, which perforated the leather and were then bent over to attach the device. I think a lot of the confusion in the ID of these pieces comes from the fact that a lot of CW battlefields were also used for military training in preparation for WWI, WWII. I don't think that is the case here, as it sounds like it was a small skirmish area, but I have had later military items show up in the strangest CW areas in the past. Like the others have said, any military find is a great find in my book!

D.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always cool to find these things! Small local museums often have many misidentified items and "curators" and/or "historians" who sadly don't really know jack. I have seen many many improperly labeled items in small museums, and usually trying to explain to whomever is in charge hits a stone wall as they would prefer not to know the truth about these items. Sad thing is that many people take things to these places for ID and get bad info which then gets passed own for posterity.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope shortbusEliete was not offended as he did ask for info.

Ill say it again nice finds anyway you look at it.

I can see why TCBG stays away from such debates.

I do have 2 questions , 1- Was the piece pictured in the Museum once Soldier or lead filled ?
&
2- Is the museum run by the National Park Service.?

shortbusEliete

Keep getting permissions in the Area (don't give up ) & IMO You will find something from the Battle or Era.
As not all Relics were lost on the Battlefield , these days it's hard after 50 ish years of the known 'Hunt-able' sites have been hit hundreds of times.

I'm willing to bet a Fired Minnie or GS Button or Better is out-there waiting for you.
Let Me / Us know when you find them.
GL
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread