US Military Pin - Need ID

KA1J

Dec 11, 2016
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this in what used to be an open field alongside the Boston Post Road in Connecticut. There has been a Navy presence in the area for many decades but the Navy buttons I have seen have an anchor. This was originally gold plated as the flash shows the remaining gold. The dime came from a different dig although on the same day & is used to show the relative size. It was a pin, there's the threads on the post and a small pin to keep it in place on the uniform. There's 13 stars for the colonies I assume but this must have been a more recent pin.
On the CTX it rang numerically as silver but it's obviously not silver.

Does anyone know an era & purpose?

Pin 1.jpg Pin 2.jpg Pin 3.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 5

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a cuff link. That is really cool whatever it is!!!!!!

OP
OP
K

KA1J

Dec 11, 2016
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A cuff link sounds right, no sharp point to pierce cloth. Maybe a Lapel pin if they had button holes for the like? I think you're on the right track.

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250
It looks like a general services US Army officer coat button, which would be 20th century.

OP
OP
K

KA1J

Dec 11, 2016
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like a general services US Army officer coat button, which would be 20th century.

It looks like you found it! I googled with your description and found a similar photo, clicked on it and went to this page US Military Uniform Buttons Interesting Facts - MISCELLANEOUS / OTHER - U.S. Militaria Forum and 6 posts from the bottom is a photo of it describing it dating from 1902 on & it was the dress uniform piece because of the gold.

I see you're from St. Louis, I went to Chiro college in Chesterfield & used to live on Botanical St, near the Arboretum. Also used to live in Castlewood. :)

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They nailed it

OP
OP
K

KA1J

Dec 11, 2016
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just looked at my old Army dress uniform hat. Same threaded piece. Definitely hat brass.

Fantastic, that narrows it down to purpose. Thanks for checking & thanks for your service.

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250
Small world. I actually live in Chesterfield now. I’ve only been in St. Louis for about a year and a half, I e loved all over but am from northern New England originally.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe it was displayed on the center of the hat. :occasion14:

OP
OP
K

KA1J

Dec 11, 2016
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That makes it interesting! My friend's father was in the Navy and my friend was in the Coast Guard and they bought the house in the late '40s. It surely was there when they bought the land, they wouldn't have been given it in their service. A mystery to never be solved, I'm sure. But thank you all for the helpful info!

I just like to know what it is I find. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread