What's new

US Mint Releases 2020 Kennedy Half Dollars

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
1,342
Reaction score
103
Golden Thread
0
Hey guys, long time no see.

Just ran across this item....if you admin folks think this would best be in a different forum, by all means move it.


Seems the US Mint is now selling rolls and bags of 2020 Circulation-grade Kennedy Half Dollars:

https://www.coinnews.net/2020/06/01/2020-kennedy-half-dollars-released-in-rolls-and-bags/


2020-P-Kennedy-Half-Dollar-obverse-510x422.webp
 
Upvote 0
No silver in these circulation grade coins, clad only.
 
Oh yea, lets spend a zillion dollars making coins NOBODY uses and banks don't carry. Makes sense to me, (NOT)....
 
Oh yea, lets spend a zillion dollars making coins NOBODY uses and banks don't carry. Makes sense to me, (NOT)....

Understand the term seigniorage, you will learn that the US Mint turns a profit minting coins (not adding in special issues targeted for collectors). The cent and nickel are the only denominations that cost more to produce than their face value. But they make a crap-ton of money making all other denominations.
 
Understand the term seigniorage, you will learn that the US Mint turns a profit minting coins (not adding in special issues targeted for collectors). The cent and nickel are the only denominations that cost more to produce than their face value. But they make a crap-ton of money making all other denominations.

As I get older, I understand more about what the govt's role in our lives should be. And making coins simply because they profit from the process makes less and less sense.

Govt should be providing essential services and the cent has long out-lived its essential quality. If it wasn't for Artazn/Jarden's lobbying it would have mercifully died years ago.
 
Last edited:
As I get older, I understand more about what the govt's role in our lives should be. And making coins simply because they profit from the process makes less and less sense.

Govt should be providing essential services and the cent has long out-lived its essential quality. If it wasn't for Artazn/Jarden's lobbying it would have mercifully died years ago.

I absolutely fine with getting rid of the cent. So long as the Bureau of Print and Engraving abolishes the $1 FRN. The lifespan of a $1 FRN is 5 years whereas a coin that is already produced at a profit has a lifespan of decades.
 
Haha! Replenish the numbers held back by CRHers and coin collectors!
 
Having lived in Germany for 12 years, I actually prefer using $1 coins, and ditching the penny, too. US forces overseas round up and do not use them, as they cost more to ship to overseas locations than it's worth, apparently.
 
Won't lie, kinda hate how a post about coins turned political REAL fast...
 
Won't lie, kinda hate how a post about coins turned political REAL fast...

I think you have to look at how you interpret what is "political". Critiquing the efficiency of our monetary system as it relates to production isn't political.
 
"shield" cents aren't worth the paper they're printed on :dontknow::laughing7::laughing9::laughing9::laughing9::sad11:, rot faster than a month old banana:BangHead:
 
As I get older, I understand more about what the govt's role in our lives should be. And making coins simply because they profit from the process makes less and less sense.

Govt should be providing essential services and the cent has long out-lived its essential quality. If it wasn't for Artazn/Jarden's lobbying it would have mercifully died years ago.

Yes, the cent should definitely go, and the one dollar bill should be replaced with the one dollar coin. These are such obviously practical policy measures that only a truly dysfunctional congress would fail to make the change year after year after year...
 
Yes, I think the politics behind the obverses is interesting. I think the cent is still around because of who's on the obverse.

Cent - Lincoln (R) - Led America through Civil War, Emancipation Proclamation
Nickel - Jefferson (Anti-Federalist) - Wrote Declaration of Independence, bought ~1/3rd of continental US.
Dime - FDR (D) - Only 4 time pres, WWII, great depression, social security
Quarter - Washington (Federalist) - Lead General in Revolutionary War, First Pres, passed office when people were calling for him to be king
Half - JFK (D) - Bay of Pigs...:icon_scratch:...said we're going to the moon :dontknow:

Essentially, Lincoln is the only republican on US coinage. If you simply eliminate the cent, it would be two democrats to zero republicans. I think the easy solution would be to place Lincoln on a new dollar coin and eliminate the cent. Keeps both parties happy. :occasion14: Plus, Lincoln deserves a permanent place on US coinage imo.
 
Yes, I think the politics behind the obverses is interesting. I think the cent is still around because of who's on the obverse.

Cent - Lincoln (R) - Led America through Civil War, Emancipation Proclamation
Nickel - Jefferson (Anti-Federalist) - Wrote Declaration of Independence, bought ~1/3rd of continental US.
Dime - FDR (D) - Only 4 time pres, WWII, great depression, social security
Quarter - Washington (Federalist) - Lead General in Revolutionary War, First Pres, passed office when people were calling for him to be king
Half - JFK (D) - Bay of Pigs...:icon_scratch:...said we're going to the moon :dontknow:

Essentially, Lincoln is the only republican on US coinage. If you simply eliminate the cent, it would be two democrats to zero republicans. I think the easy solution would be to place Lincoln on a new dollar coin and eliminate the cent. Keeps both parties happy. :occasion14: Plus, Lincoln deserves a permanent place on US coinage imo.

Exactly. When people ask me why we still have the cent, that is what I say. I totally agree with you that this is the reason
 
Thanks for the heads up...:icon_thumleft:
 
I'd be willing to give up FDR for Tubman, DeBois, or Douglass - I think that would be a good move.
 
I absolutely fine with getting rid of the cent.

Have you dug one of the recent-year zinc cents (or should I say, jagged pieces of them?) Apparently they get rid of themselves.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom