What's new

USA 1867 5 cents oddity.

Upnorth42

Full Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2014
Messages
155
Reaction score
229
Golden Thread
0
Location
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A while back I bought some coins for silver and there were a few non silvers thrown in for free. I don't know much about USA coins so this one never caught my eye until I goggled it to see if it was rare or not. It's very worn and has an oddity in it. What do you guys think about the circle above the shield? It goes through the coin and is visible on both sides. I'm thinking its post mint damage but would li
20230918_150647.webp
ke your opinions
20230918_150659.webp
 
That is a hole that was made by someone in the 1860's-70's so they could put the coin on a string so they wouldn't lose it, then someone in the 20th century filled the hole in with lead so they could sell it for a higher price to a coin collector.
 
That is a hole that was made by someone in the 1860's-70's so they could put the coin on a string so they wouldn't lose it, then someone in the 20th century filled the hole in with lead so they could sell it for a higher price to a coin collector.
This makes as much sense as anything I can think of. I was thinking maybe someone shot it. Filling in a drilled or punched hole with lead seems plausible. I couldn't come up with a reason why until you pointed one out.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom