What's new

Using a sand scoop while underwater metal detecting???

OBXmetalDet

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2019
Messages
381
Reaction score
281
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anytime I have seen a video of someone doing underwater metal detecting I have never seen them use a sand scoop. Why is this? Wouldn't sand scoop be better since you can collect/sift more stuff?
 
Upvote 0
i used a very large knife in my left hand - can cut thru clay bottom , pry rocks, protection, can cut fishing line, when it hits against metal you can hear the target usually - i will stab the bottom and use to pull myself
 
My method always included a short shaft detector, knife (never dive without a knife, too much you can get snagged on) and enough weight so I can stay on the bottom without fighting buoyancy.
 
It's interesting to me that in the videos of detecting underwater with Scuba, Hookah, or even snorkel I've watched, seems they all just use their hands to fan sand away, and the targets never appear to be too deep, usually just hiding under the sand a few inches. Unless of course you're diving on a 300-year-old shipwreck, then might have to blow some big holes.

But when hunting shallow waters of ocean beaches, I've had many targets that required digging 1/2 way to China to retrieve, fanning with the hand probably wouldn't be an option. Probably due to tides, strong currents, and wave action pushing targets deep. I got PADI certified many moons ago while in Cozumel, but those Hookah rigs look interesting. Would love to try one of those out on a freshwater lake, river, or other calm waters, preferably waters inhabited with marine life that don't have large teeth, lol.
 
i used a very large knife in my left hand - can cut thru clay bottom , pry rocks, protection, can cut fishing line, when it hits against metal you can hear the target usually - i will stab the bottom and use to pull myself

I guess you can also use a knife as a digging tool? Is there any harm in doing this? Will it wear out the sharpness of the blades overtime?
 
I guess you can also use a knife as a digging tool? Is there any harm in doing this? Will it wear out the sharpness of the blades overtime?
Yeppers. Sand is abrasive, so running a sharp knife into sand over and over will dull the blade in short time. Many years ago, when I was a land hunter, I used to use a thin flat blade screwdriver as a probe. This was back when detectors didn't have pinpoint function, so we all used probes to locate the target. Over time, the tip of the screwdrivers blade changed from flat, to curved, almost oval. Sticking that screwdriver into the ground over and over wore away the flat edges of the blade over time until the tip was round, and that was steel against soft/moist dirt. I wouldn't use a high-end, super sharp self-defense type tactical knife as a digging tool, I'd just get a standard knife with thick blade knowing that it was gonna get dull and just designate that knife to use as a digging tool. BUT make sure you know your local laws on blade length. In MD, we can have knives with blades up to 3" long. In the eyes of the law, even a dull knife is still considered to be a weapon.
 
Yeppers. Sand is abrasive, so running a sharp knife into sand over and over will dull the blade in short time. Many years ago, when I was a land hunter, I used to use a thin flat blade screwdriver as a probe. This was back when detectors didn't have pinpoint function, so we all used probes to locate the target. Over time, the tip of the screwdrivers blade changed from flat, to curved, almost oval. Sticking that screwdriver into the ground over and over wore away the flat edges of the blade over time until the tip was round, and that was steel against soft/moist dirt. I wouldn't use a high-end, super sharp self-defense type tactical knife as a digging tool, I'd just get a standard knife with thick blade knowing that it was gonna get dull and just designate that knife to use as a digging tool. BUT make sure you know your local laws on blade length. In MD, we can have knives with blades up to 3" long. In the eyes of the law, even a dull knife is still considered to be a weapon.

I didn't know this was a thing to be concerned about. Thank you for mentioning this.
 
I use a digging knife with a serrated edge that I buy at a local Grange, works really well. It will of course dull over time from pushing into dirt etc. and cutting through grass and some roots. It is cheaper than "official" digging style knives, and it does last a good long time. When I do buy a new one, the old one works just dandy out in the yard or garden, it also serves as a spare on your belt in its sheath if detecting a good distance from the car, for I have snapped a couple trying to pry rocks or what ever I was trying to force that was a little too much. It's a ""Zenport" brand, 6 1/2" blade, a 5" measure gauge on the blade and has an Orange handle. (That has come in handy more than once), and you can tie a lanyard through the handle. About $20 or so, Maby $26? in the Garden Dept. Nothing to gain or lose telling about it, I'm not selling anything, just offering up what I now use instead of knives you might order FOR detecting. With 35+ years detecting, this really works well for me. Now I have never dived, but for that I would want the REAL deal for that. All I've got.
 
I didn't know this was a thing to be concerned about. Thank you for mentioning this.
It's not a thing until it becomes a thing, but when it becomes a thing, then you're probably in hot water. It's always best IMO to check the local laws so you'll know ahead of time and can keep yourself out of hot water. I'm licensed to carry in multiple states, and while I was researching the laws in those various states, I do recall some of the state laws that said that carrying a knife is prohibited, unless the person had a concealed carry permit. I guess they feel that if a person is licensed to carry a weapon, that carrying a knife should be ok as well. Just never hurts to check to be sure.

Crazy thing though is that for hunting on land, I have a steel serrated digging trowel that's probably a foot long. It's not a knife, it's a trowel, but just like a knife, it could do some real damage in the wrong hands. Also, skin divers carry knives on their thighs, some look as big as what Jim Bowie carried, lol. But if I was scuba diving, better believe I'd have one of those large honking knives strapped to my leg, as me and sharks apparently don't get along. But I'd only be strapping that knife to my leg once I'm on the boat and just before diving. I wouldn't be walking around in public with that strapped to my leg, lol.
 
It's not a thing until it becomes a thing, but when it becomes a thing, then you're probably in hot water. It's always best IMO to check the local laws so you'll know ahead of time and can keep yourself out of hot water. I'm licensed to carry in multiple states, and while I was researching the laws in those various states, I do recall some of the state laws that said that carrying a knife is prohibited, unless the person had a concealed carry permit. I guess they feel that if a person is licensed to carry a weapon, that carrying a knife should be ok as well. Just never hurts to check to be sure.

Crazy thing though is that for hunting on land, I have a steel serrated digging trowel that's probably a foot long. It's not a knife, it's a trowel, but just like a knife, it could do some real damage in the wrong hands. Also, skin divers carry knives on their thighs, some look as big as what Jim Bowie carried, lol. But if I was scuba diving, better believe I'd have one of those large honking knives strapped to my leg, as me and sharks apparently don't get along. But I'd only be strapping that knife to my leg once I'm on the boat and just before diving. I wouldn't be walking around in public with that strapped to my leg, lol.
I would have the dive knife on me only when doing scuba. Should I still check the local laws for that?
 
I would have the dive knife on me only when doing scuba. Should I still check the local laws for that?
IMHO, it's always better to err on the side of caution. I'm coming at this from a perspective that might be a lot different than most others, as I'm licensed to carry in several states and my son is a retired Federal Police Officer. Remember, a knife, even if it's made for "diving", doesn't matter what you call it, it's still a knife and considered to be a weapon. Law enforcement tends to get hyper vigilant & uber suspicious when dealing with weapons of any kind.

Even though only you and the boat crew will see you strapping the knife on before diving, you should also take into account that that you'll be driving with the knife in your car on the way to the marina. Then, you'll be walking with the knife in your dive bag from car to boat. After coming back, same thing, walking with knife back to the car, transporting knife in your car on way home. So, what happens if you happen to get pulled over on the way to the Marina and the officer asks if you have any weapons in the car? You'd better be truthful because if they have a reason to search your car & find that diving knife, but you told them you don't have any weapons, things aren't going to go well for you, my brother.

But let's say that your state law has an exception for knifes larger than what's permitted to be carried on your person, that specifies that the larger knife must be located in an area of your car that's inaccessible to you. Or, it may say it's permissible if it's locked up in a separate compartment (i.e., trunk, glove box). If you took the time to research the laws of your state ahead of time, and you know that this is permissible, then if you get pulled over & officer asks if you have any nasties in the car, you can truthfully answer Yes, I have a skin diving knife locked in my divers bag in the trunk, I'm heading to the marina to catch a boat to go skin diving.

You know the law, the Officer now knows that you know the law, and that you have secured that knife according to the requirements of the law. You might get a ticket for whatever, running a yellow light or something, but you're probably not gonna be hauled off to jail.
So IMHO, my recommendation is to always "know before you go". Nothing to lose by knowing the laws, everything to gain by making sure you're following those laws.
 
I found a large filet knife in the surf one day, I left it in my finds pouch and carried it before I starred carrying a firearm and had police ask one day why I had it and told him I had found it in the surf. I then told him it was for sharks, both land and sea..
 
IMHO, it's always better to err on the side of caution. I'm coming at this from a perspective that might be a lot different than most others, as I'm licensed to carry in several states and my son is a retired Federal Police Officer. Remember, a knife, even if it's made for "diving", doesn't matter what you call it, it's still a knife and considered to be a weapon. Law enforcement tends to get hyper vigilant & uber suspicious when dealing with weapons of any kind.

Even though only you and the boat crew will see you strapping the knife on before diving, you should also take into account that that you'll be driving with the knife in your car on the way to the marina. Then, you'll be walking with the knife in your dive bag from car to boat. After coming back, same thing, walking with knife back to the car, transporting knife in your car on way home. So, what happens if you happen to get pulled over on the way to the Marina and the officer asks if you have any weapons in the car? You'd better be truthful because if they have a reason to search your car & find that diving knife, but you told them you don't have any weapons, things aren't going to go well for you, my brother.

But let's say that your state law has an exception for knifes larger than what's permitted to be carried on your person, that specifies that the larger knife must be located in an area of your car that's inaccessible to you. Or, it may say it's permissible if it's locked up in a separate compartment (i.e., trunk, glove box). If you took the time to research the laws of your state ahead of time, and you know that this is permissible, then if you get pulled over & officer asks if you have any nasties in the car, you can truthfully answer Yes, I have a skin diving knife locked in my divers bag in the trunk, I'm heading to the marina to catch a boat to go skin diving.

You know the law, the Officer now knows that you know the law, and that you have secured that knife according to the requirements of the law. You might get a ticket for whatever, running a yellow light or something, but you're probably not gonna be hauled off to jail.
So IMHO, my recommendation is to always "know before you go". Nothing to lose by knowing the laws, everything to gain by making sure you're following those laws.

Ok. What if I fly down to Florida and bring my diving gear in my suitcase. If I had my dive knife in that suitcase and had that checked in at the ticket counter, meaning I would not carry that onto the plane, is that allowed?
 
You can carry a knife, even a firearm in your suitcase that goes in the belly of plane as long as it is unloaded. It's in passenger compartment that is illegal. May be a local problem in the blue states, but in Constitional carry states it is legal.

With firearms, the firearm must be unloaded, securely packed in a locked, hard-sided case, and declared to the airline at check-in, ammunition must be packed separately from the firearm, typically in its original packaging or a suitable container, and declared as well.

Knives are even easier to carry in checked baggage.

In Florida, constitutional carry, also known as permitless carry or constitutional carry, includes the ability to carry certain types of knives concealed without a permit, provided the individual meets the legal requirements for carrying a weapon without a license. This means that if someone is legally allowed to carry a firearm without a permit, they are also generally allowed to carry a knife concealed.

Key points about knife carry in Florida under constitutional carry:
  • No permit required:
    Florida residents and non-residents 21 and older can carry concealed knives without a permit.

  • Types of knives:
    The law allows for the concealed carry of various types of knives, including automatic knives, switchblades, and butterfly knives.

  • Age restriction:
    You must be 21 years old to carry a concealed knife in Florida.
 
Last edited:
Ok. What if I fly down to Florida and bring my diving gear in my suitcase. If I had my dive knife in that suitcase and had that checked in at the ticket counter, meaning I would not carry that onto the plane, is that allowed?
I'd say yes and no. No because if you just have that weapon in your regular luggage bag, and you check the bag at the normal check in area, that bag is going to be X-Rayed somewhere in their normal process before it goes onto the plane. When that weapon is discovered via X-Ray, it could potentially be a cause for alarm on their end. To them, they could think that you're trying to sneak the weapon onto the plane, even though it will be inside a checked bag.

But I would say yes if instead, you followed TSA protocols by checking that bag in with TSA Security directly, not checking in via the normal ticket counter, reported that you had a weapon inside, let them see what the weapon is, and that you've followed TSA security requirements by placing the weapon inside a separate locked container, or whatever their regulations stipulate, they'll know what's up and that you've followed their requirements. But to do that, you'd need to go to the TSA website to research what you need to do to travel with a weapon, and which types of weapons you'd be allowed to travel with.

People travel with pistols, other pew pews, and probably knives all the time. You just have to know and follow their rules/protocols, and check in the bag with the weapon in with them. Just keep in mind that rules & procedures can change at any time, so research their website prior to traveling to see what their latest rules/requirements are.
 
You can carry a knife, even a firearm in your suitcase that goes in the belly of plane as long as it is unloaded. It's in passenger compartment that is illegal. May be a local problem in the blue states, but in Constitional carry states it is legal.

With firearms, the firearm must be unloaded, securely packed in a locked, hard-sided case, and declared to the airline at check-in, ammunition must be packed separately from the firearm, typically in its original packaging or a suitable container, and declared as well.

Knives are even easier to carry in checked baggage.

In Florida, constitutional carry, also known as permitless carry or constitutional carry, includes the ability to carry certain types of knives concealed without a permit, provided the individual meets the legal requirements for carrying a weapon without a license. This means that if someone is legally allowed to carry a firearm without a permit, they are also generally allowed to carry a knife concealed.

Key points about knife carry in Florida under constitutional carry:
  • No permit required:
    Florida residents and non-residents 21 and older can carry concealed knives without a permit.

  • Types of knives:
    The law allows for the concealed carry of various types of knives, including automatic knives, switchblades, and butterfly knives.

  • Age restriction:
    You must be 21 years old to carry a concealed knife in Florida.
Thanks for the info.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom