What's new

V-nickels?

hughmaster10

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2013
Messages
408
Reaction score
489
Golden Thread
0
I would like to hear some numbers on how often you have found vnickels. I have yet to find one in circulation. But haven’t done nickels very often.
What are your averages on finding one?
 
Upvote 0
Found 3 over the past 3 yrs. I search at least one box of nickels a week.
 
I have found 4 in the last year, searching two boxes per week.
 
Scratch that. Just pulled a 1903 out of a box today.
 
I’ve found 9 out of $20k hunted. However 4 came from the same roll so that skews the number quite a bit.
 
Out of $11,000 searched, I've found 34 Buffalos, 125 silver, and a whopping 1 V nickel. Now you know why I rarely search nickels anymore...
 
Although I haven't actively CRH'ed since early 2014, I looked back at the stats I kept from 2006 to 2013 when I was actively CRH'ing.

Total # of nickels searched: 1,636,695 ($81,834.75 worth)
V nickels found: 12
Buffalos found: 153
War Nickels found: 670

So my find rate was 1 V-nickel for every $6820 searched.

That being said, I think 4 came from the same bag, and in 2009 I searched through over $16,200 and didn't find a single one.
 
Well, machine wrapped I only found 2. I once found 6 in a single roll ( Collection dump.)
 
I started searching nickels in casinos when I moved to Vegas in 1985 and was steady until 2012 or so.

In that time I found a total of three V nickels - 1899, 1906 & 1912.
 
Unbelievable numbers guys! Wow! I’ll get my hopes up for Buffalos and silvers lol
 
I started searching nickels in casinos when I moved to Vegas in 1985 and was steady until 2012 or so.

In that time I found a total of three V nickels - 1899, 1906 & 1912.

Wow. That is dedication
 
Wow. That is dedication

When there's goodies to be found, dedication is second nature. :thumbsup:

You have to think, and my old buddy GMan is prob someone who's crunched the numbers on this, that the likelihood of finding them nowadays has gotten exponentially worse thanks to the billions upon billions added to the supply.

Was at one of the last Vegas casinos with coin-op machines yesterday and happened to find a 1945-P in around $40 worth. I remember when that was a more common event. Collection dumps are alway a source but V nickels will always be the rarest of the rare IMO.
 
When there's goodies to be found, dedication is second nature. :thumbsup:

You have to think, and my old buddy GMan is prob someone who's crunched the numbers on this, that the likelihood of finding them nowadays has gotten exponentially worse thanks to the billions upon billions added to the supply.

Was at one of the last Vegas casinos with coin-op machines yesterday and happened to find a 1945-P in around $40 worth. I remember when that was a more common event. Collection dumps are alway a source but V nickels will always be the rarest of the rare IMO.

I’m with you. We have too many new coins!
I have also seen a shield nickel found in a roll on YouTube, so let’s not underestimate that possibility also :)))
 
I pulled a 1912 a few weeks ago. I don’t do a lot of nickels so I think I got lucky. I do find Buffalo’s every now and then but most are no dates. The 1912 is the oldest nickel I’ve pulled.
 
Immy, what was the casino that still took coins? I have about 3 1/2 rolls of V-nickels and about 5 rolls of Buffs. I've been selling a bunch of coins again on eBay, but I would rather dump them back into circulation with the added bonus of having some fun. I have plenty of the Mint rolls of the Westward Journey series that I could add to the fun dump.
 
Immy, what was the casino that still took coins?

El Cortez, downtown. But don't use their self-serve machines to dump...they charge fees. :icon_scratch: Bring them right to the cage.

Then cash out a couple hundred from their half dollar machines and cross your fingers for silver.

Oh yeah, and $5 to park there too. *sigh*
 
El Cortez, downtown. But don't use their self-serve machines to dump...they charge fees. :icon_scratch: Bring them right to the cage.

Then cash out a couple hundred from their half dollar machines and cross your fingers for silver.

Oh yeah, and $5 to park there too. *sigh*

Do they still have nickel slots? I would rather spread the wealth among a bunch of machines than just take them to a cage to cash out.
 
You have to think, and my old buddy GMan is prob someone who's crunched the numbers on this, that the likelihood of finding them nowadays has gotten exponentially worse thanks to the billions upon billions added to the supply.

Was at one of the last Vegas casinos with coin-op machines yesterday and happened to find a 1945-P in around $40 worth. I remember when that was a more common event.

I probably did crunch the numbers and posted them 5-10 years ago when I was actively CRHing. And yes the odds of finding one get lower every year as billions of new nickels are added to the supply. Maybe not exponentially lower as they are already pretty low, but still lower.

The numbers I posted probably also included my estimate as to how many remain in circulation. I am just too lazy to redo it or find my old post.


The bigger news is that Vegas casinos still have coin-op? I figured they'd all be gone by now.
 
The bigger news is that Vegas casinos still have coin-op? I figured they'd all be gone by now.

Oh yeah. El Cortez still has plenty of coin-op (including nickels, DD, seed away!). El Cortez is promoted as Vegas Old School, so coin-op machines fit the motif.

There's also a rumor not that long ago of another on the southeast side of town called The Klondike, but I've yet to investigate.
 
Been Doing a box of nickels about once a week for 2 years. Got 2 from the same box last month to bring my total to 4. One was an 1891 ender, still really thrilled about it and still haven't opened that roll.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom