V3i stomps the Deus in iron today

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Had in mind a head 2 head today. Deus 11" vs V3i 6x8 SEF at the most pounded park around.

Warmed up in the morning with the Deus at a neighborhood park for two hours killin' clad. Always running 18khz, full tones, 0 disc. Made out good.

Took a long lunch before grabbing the V3i and heading to the proving grounds - an old iron, nail, trash infested park with moderately high mineralization. Everyone hits this park at some point. Not many continue to abuse themselves there more than a few times, but I still squeak goodies out here and there. Definitely need to have your ears on 'A game' to produce a coin. Most times 1 toasted lincoln an hour is a good hunt here.

It wasn't a fair fight. I have about 8 times as many hours on the V3i as I do the Deus. Thousands v.s. hundreds. Smaller coil too.

Ended up two dimes on edge (42 merc, 46 rosie) and four toasted wheats to the V.
That was after the Deus swept the same exact line first and picked up two toasted wheats.

I don't feel I'm missing as much as I thought I might be without a Deus. I still like the French trash magnet though. :icon_thumleft:

Looking forward to a smaller coil out of XP.

20160806_190311.jpg

Thanks for peeking. :occasion14:

Last edited:
Upvote 6
OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I consider my small front yard hunted out. The V3i has gridded multiple directions, coils, and experience level. The AT has gridded once back when I first got it, and did pick up a silver dime, which prompted me to grid again with V3i as I became more experienced with it...found nothing but aluminum siding digging all nonzferrous.

I'm going to reverse the roles and see if the Deus picks anything else out. There is more non-ferrous, but it's siding scraps smaller than a dime right up near the foundation, and foil along the curb parking strip. I'd crap myself if the Deus could pull even one coin out of my yard, or even get one solid non-ferrous signal that wasn't trash. If she can do that....I'd lick the dirty coil.:laughing7:

Perhaps this evening after it stops raining. I'ma give the Deus every edge. It's on.

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Curious why you dropped the transmitter power down to lowest setting? Maybe that's why it underperformed.

Too many hunks of iron, nails, screws, slag, and because of mineralization increases randomly around the area from all the rust dust Stick a magnet in the soil to see lots of microscopic who knows what stuck to it. These coins are not deeper than 7 inches.(I've not found any beyond 6) They're masked somwtimes only by heavy mineralization, or 25# hunk of iron below it a few inches. At various times I've talked to 6 other detectorists on site and nobody has recovered anything deeper. Guys swinging well known units pulling 4" avg.

The V3i RX scale is 1-15 plus TX boost. I can run as high as 6 in places, but things work considerably better overall at 4... in this park.

Running too hot here gets you blinded as a reward. 8-)

Perhaps the Deus was too hot.

I'll run it again with suggestions.

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be all over a head2head if we lived closer.It'll be at least 9 months before I get out there again. Perhaps we can have a run together when the time comes.

I slowed swing speed down when hunting, althoufh not as slow as the V3i sweep speed, there seems to be a minimum sweep speed for the Deus. Deus doesn't seem to do 1/2 foot per second (and slower) very well. What FPS do you typically use with the 11?

I vary from 1Fps in iron to 4 FPS in open fields with light trash. The fast FPS speed in sports fields misses surprisingly little in the top 6".

I'm going to run more H2H in the autumn. I have a virgin farmstead that's produced one silver quarter on a scout back in Mar. Until then I'm going to keep plugging away studying and adding hours under the backphones.

While looking for 8" coin-sized items and deeper, I won't exceed 2fps. Usually it's about 1fps but remember now I'm using the 9" coil. Didn't vary the swing speed while I had the 11" coil, it just seems the 9" coil is better at picking out the co-located and blended DEEP targets (no surprise, though)

At the sports fields I'll crank Reactivity to 3 and use 12 or 18khz. It sees every piece of tiny foil, and tidbits, but if you get the coil over an earring or a nosering, you won't hardly miss it! Haven't been to the fields in a while since the parks are keeping my old-coin appetite healthily nourished :hello2:

pen

Apr 7, 2015
Ardmore, AL
Detector(s) used
Deus, AT Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Running too hot here gets you blinded as a reward. 8-)

I hunt a couple of sites with a lot of old iron with a few friends and I tend to do a little better with my Deus and 9" coil than my buddies with AT Pros and a Nokta Fors Core. I have my setting almost identical to yours but I kept TX power at 2. I'll have to experiment with TX at 1, thx!

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm your Huckleberry :laughing7:

I've used all three Deus coils and started with the larger 11X13 coil. This coil some say was "noseheavy" but coming from an analog Fisher CZ6 it was the cat's meow for me at the time. Shortly afterwards XP released the round 11" coil, and I used it heavily for almost 2 years. Had a very irony and trash-infested area to break in both coils, dug plenty of trash but got to where those toasty Wheats and nickels would have a little something extra in the audio...

So back in March I picked up the original 9" Deus coil....and this coil seems to blow the socks off of the other two coils! I've gone back to three parks in the area that I've murdered with the 11" coil last year...and continue to pull deep old coins co-located with all kinds of nails, foil, and junk.

I've always liked the v3i feature of using three tones to determine probable target composition - that's a fantastic feature and I hope White's expands on the concept. XP's new coil and software update for the existing coils will hopefully address some of the "falsing at the end of a sweep" at low Reactivity settings and help ID deeper targets a bit better.

But one thing I've learned with all these coils is that swing speed is the most important factor for finding those more difficult targets. Having the ability to adjust processing speed (Reactivity) to suit the ground is probably the most valuable feature in the software IMO.

I heard from a little birdie that XP is releasing version 4.0 -AND- the new coil in conjunction with the XP European Gold Rally Sept 15-16....
I heard the same thing...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread