Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I believe the maker reads 'The Bastian Company' founded in Rochester, NY. If so, that co. began in 1895 initially operating as a jewelry store that was recognized for its quality, craftsmanship and integrity. The company has listed their products as: badges, buckles, coasters, coins, key tags, Holiday ornaments, custom lapel pins, patriotic lapel pins, medallions, security ID badge lapel pins, pin holders, stock firefighter theme products and stock union theme products.

They are still in business today. You can contact them directly and make inquiry.
[email protected]
Don.....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dirtfisher1127

Aug 8, 2011
Mackaydon said:
I believe the maker reads 'The Bastian Company' founded in Rochester, NY. If so, that co. began in 1895 initially operating as a jewelry store that was recognized for its quality, craftsmanship and integrity. The company has listed their products as: badges, buckles, coasters, coins, key tags, Holiday ornaments, custom lapel pins, patriotic lapel pins, medallions, security ID badge lapel pins, pin holders, stock firefighter theme products and stock union theme products.

They are still in business today. You can contact them directly and make inquiry.
[email protected]
Don.....
Thanks so much, Mackaydon. I contacted them about a year ago, and unfortunately, they were unable to provide any information on this medal. Thanks again, Jack.

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It doesn't look like the current Seal to me; the arms or in opposite directions (up and down), what the person is holding is in the wrong hand and the staff is next to the body versus away from the body in the Seal.
Then again, it could be just a very poor attempt to imitate the Seal OR it could be an older rendition of the Seal.
Did the Seal go through an image evolution?
Don....

Upvote 0

GpSnoopy

Sep 14, 2008
Grande Prairie, AB
Detector(s) used
MXT, Sovereign GT, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at an image search of the Virginia State Seal, it appears that it has a few variations over the years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_of_Virginia

In 1930 another committee was charged with standardizing the seal's design because of all the variations that came into use over the years.

Here's a picture of a button using the reversed style, Listed as Albert's VA20B

State seal.jpg

Upvote 0

GpSnoopy

Sep 14, 2008
Grande Prairie, AB
Detector(s) used
MXT, Sovereign GT, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it possible that this refer's to the Virginia Volunteers, predecessor to the Virginia National Guard. This force existed from 1870 until 1903 when the National Guard was formed.

As soon as the last federal troops left the state in late 1870 the reinstated adjutant general began reorganizing what was now known as the “Virginia Volunteers” (the direct forerunner of today’s Virginia National Guard). This force was composed entirely of uniformed volunteer companies.

http://vko.va.ngb.army.mil/virginiaguard/history/overview.html

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dirtfisher1127

Aug 8, 2011
Thanks to all who responded with help! I have just learned that the medal is indeed from the pre- Virginia National Guard troops. Also read that the medals were issued in bronze for six years faithful service, silver for 15 years, and gold for 24 years. Now things get even more weird--why does this medal state 15 years service, yet it is struck in 14k gold--according to specs., it should be silver! I tested it to be sure it wasn't just gold plated, but it is solid 14k. Maybe a trial piece or a error as to the metal used? Anyway, it's a mystery to me!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread