cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there such a thing as a vacation hold? I want to take off on a trip next month but do not want to take down all my auctions. Most of my auctions are "good till cancelled" and show a lot of hits on "my ebay" screen. The main reason I want them still up and just let any buyers know I will not ship till I get back. I get 3-4 orders a week. (just last week that came to about $250)

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Only way is to manually edit all your auctions making this very clear or end them. Only stores get vacation mode.

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cyberdan, do you have an eBay Store? It wasn't clear from your post whether you do, but eBay store owners can put their store in vacation mode. It hides your fixed price listings from eBay searches and blocks buyers from buying the items in these listings while you're away. It only works on Buy-it-Now listings, not auction-style listings. I agree with dieselram94 that if you don't have an eBay store, your best (only?) option is to cancel your listings then relist when you're back from vacation.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cyberdan, do you have an eBay Store?.....your best (only?) option is to cancel your listings then relist when you're back from vacation.
That is what I am doing now. I just put this announcement on all my auctions

BUY NOW IF YOU NEED SOON. MY STORE WILL BE CLOSED
ONE WEEK FOR INVENTORY STARTING 3-9-16
ALL ORDERS WILL BE SHIPPED BEFORE 3-11-16

I don't want to announce to the world that I will be away from home. Nothing much of value there but some thief won't know that till they have made a mess. I keep the good stuff locked up at another secure location.

No I don't have a store but it sounded better to say that.

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don;t trust people to read that kind of info. Before I had the store, I would just plan to have all my items end prior to my leaving. The loss of watchers and sales outweighed potential defects, in my opinion. Some people just dont read the description. I have sold youth size items and people didnt realize it was not adult (in youth category, in title and in description with measurements) as just one example.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have sold youth size items and people didnt realize it was not adult (in youth category, in title and in description with measurements) as just one example.
Yes, I sell cellphones for gold recycling for $1 each and they can buy any quantity. Even the auction has a box to fill in for quantity and in the last three weeks two people have sent messages wanting to know if they get all the phones in the photos for $1.00 (my photos show over 1000 cells) if they just read the description it would inform them.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Cyberdan, I went out of the country for three weeks recently. I put my store on vacation mode. There are two forms of vacation mode, one where it just says you won't ship, and one where they are not supposed to show up in the search. I did it a few days early, and I am so glad I did. I put it on the second mode, and it wasn't set. People could still buy my stuff. I called ebay. Turns out that if you have your settings for instant payment, the sale will go through, even though you have it on vacation. I used the multi tool thing to do all my auctions. I took off the instant payment. BUT, people can still ask you questions about your item, which was very annoying. Like, I'm 5000 miles away from there and don't give a hoot. Don't forget to put your messages onto vacation mode as well, which is what I did.
When you get back, just remember to fix everything up again. I was pleased to get a bunch of sales as soon as I turned the store back on.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've encountered the same problem before but since i don't have a store, i just explain to the buyers that i'm away and will ship their item once i return, if they do purchase. Most of them are fine with it and will buy anyways. Others will thank me and keep on looking. It hard to be upset about being on vacation AND get paid while sitting on a beach!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions