Vanishing Chrildren on Christmas!

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
As I walked out from my warm house Christmas morning I peered up and down my street. No one was to be seen. I looked at my watch to see it was only around 8:45am. So I thought to myself, Maybe everyone is still opening presents.

So I walk back out around 10:00am, notta. Not a new scooter, skateboard, bicycle. There was not kid to be seen and I got depressed until my 4 year old started riding circles around me on his new bike.

Is it just me or have the video games almost taken over completely now? I figured out that all of my neighbors kids were playing rock band or some wii games. I am glad to have come from a generation where my mother would not let us come in until dinner. To vanish into the woods until dark, ride bikes for hours just to go no where.

Maybe one day I will understand. Until then I enjoy experiencing life firsthand without a controller.

shaw

Its crazy huh? when I was little it was just as you said... outside all day.
Unfortunately times have changed....I would never let my kids go out and play if I
wasn't going to be outside with them. and...yeah my six year old got a few DS games she wanted!!
LOLOL

Sad state of affairs, Being a divorced dad, I have taken every chance to get my son to go out and do things with me, I've taught him to ride his bicycle, got him a metal detector, pogo sticks, taught flashlight tag. Sleding in the winter. Unfortunately, my Ex has taught him the video game. He never steps outdoors, and unfortunately he lives with his mom.. Sad to see our children being "babysat" by virtual senarios. I wouldnt be surprised if someone came out with a virtual metal detecting game GOD help us all!

You are so right about that I agree, I will let the little dude play in the backyard all day if he wants but unless I am out front its off limits.

Moderation is the key, maybe I will also learn about that one day... ;D ;D ;D

exactly...my girls can go out back when ever they want...but no way can they ride bikes or play out front unless
I'm out there... and yeah its all about moderation...

Ritalin is what all the schools suggest for any kid that wants to play physically.
Excitement and joy shows emotional problems. :(

Looking forward to the virtual MDing game for vid screens. :o

Good Grief!

My kids have Playstation 2, but they also have bikes and scooters.

There have been summer nights that I am out looking for my kids because they are outside walking around with friends or at a friends house outside playing. A couple days ago daughter was out playing football and son was gone for 2 hours on his bike today. So they are outside for at least half the day, unless we have other things going on.

Sue

When our Grandkids come to visit, it is a 'chore' to pry them away from video games just to visit us. :'(

Fossis................

:o
My kids take games when they visit Pap and Gram. They can be found sitting at the table playing a board or card game of some sort. In the summer when it is really hot out, we have to remind son that Pappy shouldn't be outside playing ball. Mind you, my in laws are 76 and 78.

Sue

Interesting......when my grandkiddles come over there are a couple things they ask as they walk through the front door..."Mimi, can we play marbles"...or...Sorry, (remember that's an old fashioned board game that you have to reach across the table to move your game piece) or "color" or the last one...."Mimi, can we build a play room (remember gathering every blanket in the house, pushing tables and chairs together? yep that's the one." Their ages range from 3 yrs all the way to 15, and they all want to play at "mimi's" house....If I didn't do these....they would want to be stuck in front of the tv....ain't happenin' on my watch!!!!

I have to laugh about the "playroom" Purdee.

I watch my neighbors 3 y/o and one day I walked into my living room and there is my 13 y/o son bringing out blankets from his room and taking chairs from the table. I asked him what the heck is he doing and he replied....J and I are building a huge tent to hide in. After they got done, my son was teaching J a game under the tent. By the way, he learned the "tent" from his grandparents.

Sue

See us Grandmimi's still have a lot to offer...honestly the kiddles LOVE LOVE LOVE to do this...I guess it's just the "builder" in all of us that we need to be creative...I don't know...but too funny. Oh and the other thing we do....I read to them every time they spend the night....once they know it's bedtime....there is never any issues....they know they will get a story....wow...I miss those days with my own kiddles that are now grown....BUT wait....that's what the grandkiddles are for....whew....most forgot for a sec....

All Grandparents have something to offer their Grandchildren and should be an important part of their Grandchildren lives.

My poor in laws got stuck with two 18 y/o Granddaughters and a 16 y/o Granddaughter for New Year's Eve. The 3 girls, all cousins, have told us that they will always spend New Year's Eve with Pap and Gram cause they never know if this will be their last New Year's Eve with them. This tradition has been going on for 9 years now.

Sue

Your right. Games and computers tex messaging have completely taken over. Man when I was a kid everyone would be outside with their new toys. Not around here.

Kids that play outside all day unsupervised are apt to be missing for good now days! Damn those perverts and weirdos that stalk our Children. And have you noticed that a person who murders a child usually gets 10 years to life or some similar penalty? Murdering an adult often gets death. It should be the other way around. Anyone who molests, kidnaps or murders a child should suffer a gruesome death in my book.
M >:( nty

Monty said:
Kids that play outside all day unsupervised are apt to be missing for good now days! Damn those perverts and weirdos that stalk our Children. And have you noticed that a person who murders a child usually gets 10 years to life or some similar penalty? Murdering an adult often gets death. It should be the other way around. Anyone who molests, kidnaps or murders a child should suffer a gruesome death in my book.
M >:( nty

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

K*E*L*L*Y said:
exactly...my girls can go out back when ever they want...but no way can they ride bikes or play out front unless
I'm out there... and yeah its all about moderation...

I have a neighborhood ful of kids, and yes we try hard to look out for them.
they were all out in force on Christmas Day. Using the new fallen snow for snowmen, forts, snowball fights...
someone was even flying a kite.
I have begun teaching my grand kids to be safe and to look out for each other.

When it comes to life I teach them the same thing I taught my kids.
Take big bites, life is to be lived not moderated.
Moderation is for monks.

and we aren't even going to go there.
LOL
Thom

I think back to when I was a kid, and some of things we used to do, kids these days wouldn't dream of doing.
heaven forbid if a kid got out of bed early to see the sunrise, see the dew on the grass, the mist fading up to the sun, and then putting on a pair of shorts and go bean walking or baling hay.
kids these days don't appreciate enough, we have become a society with children that have a sense of entitlement

Sniffer, I agree whole heartedly. But a lot of it is our fault for wanting our kids and grandkids to have it better/easier than we did. And I have noticed too that now dinners are eaten in front of the TV and there is hardly any conversation. When I was a kid if we weren't at the dinner table as a family we didn't eat! It was at the dinner table that we talked about "things". Things that were important to us as a family. Today's parents don't seem to have time to spend with their kids. They depend on daycare or school to socialize them instead of the home. I have seen so many children, especially those in about the 6 to 12 year old range that don't know how to say please or thank you or yes sir or yes maam. That's the feeling of entitlement you spoke of. I admit I spoil my grandkids rotten, but that's my job as a grandpa isn't it? Monty

Monty said:
I admit I spoil my grandkids rotten, but that's my job as a grandpa isn't it? Monty

It's the easiest way to get even with your kids.

Although mine are tempered with respect and yes they do say Sir and Mam.
as well as please and thanks.

The rest is just about a given
Opa is wrapped pretty tight around these kid's finger.

LOL
At least they go home when they get too cranky.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back