Vaquero just in

rey914v8

Mar 25, 2011
Silicon Valley
Detector(s) used
Silver umax + 12x10
So I got this Vaquero and I'm not understanding this G.B. thing. I turn the knob and seems like I cant make the thing quiet as i move the coil up and down, I get a hum on the down swing. Where should i start with the ground balance knob,full left,right?

I'm sure there are a few folks that have this down. Can anyone chime in??

Someone said you have to constantly re-ground balance the detector every few minutes.

Is there any truth to that? It seems that would get really annoying. :icon_scratch:

A correctly ground balanced vaquero will still have a "hum" (it always will in the "all metal" setting, with the threshold turned up a little), it just will not change pitch as the coil approaches the ground. I would recommend starting roughly in the middle of the ground balance spectrum. The way to find that is turn the knob at least 4 turns in one direction (to get it at one "end" of the spectrum), then turn it not quite 2 turns in the opposite direction. This will get you roughly to the midpoint, since the total spectrum is 3 3/4 turns.

Concerning the statement of regroundbalancing every few mins, it really depends on the ground. In mid-ten, I usually only have to do it once at a site and I'm set for the day. Murfreesboro is somewhat hotter ground with more variation. So, that requires a little more frequent ground balancing. I usually stay in the threshold-based all metal mode, looking fore those deep lurkers, so it's easy to tel when it gets alittle off.

Hope that helps

Thanks all for the information, It dose have a slight hum as the coil come close to ground, but It still finds small buttons easy 6" down.

I think that part of my problem was that I was swinging the MD in and arc fashion insted of up down motion.

So I guess Ill need to practice with more. Thanks all you guy are the best.....

Like Allcav..said watch .. 53silver .. on youtube he has the best video i ever saw on ground balanceing a Tesoro.....

Keppy, Yea I did see that, it just doesn't cover where it starts out at meaning full rt or left. by the way I like you AVITAR, can I use it PLEASE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back