Vaquero or Xterra 70

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
Please respond to this ONLY if you have experience with BOTH machines. I have used a Vaq since last summer and like it very much, not having a display doesn't bother me, but as I get older I wonder about some hearing loss.. I have used TID machines before, so I'm wondering if I might see an edge to using the Xterra over the Vaq. I'm talking about the accuracy of the disc circuit and the I.D. on the display. I hunt parks, old plantations and homesites, gulf of Mex beaches(not much mineralization), relics coins and jewelry. Thanks Tom

Well Tom.......I'll give this a shot. I have some experience with both of these machines. I use a Vaq a lot for coins in our local parks and like it a lot due to it's light weight. If you learn to thumb the disc dial you can eliminate digging a lot of trash. I bought my wife a new Xterra 70 a couple of months ago and she now uses it and leaves her SE Pro at home 95% of the time. She also out hunts me 90% of the time with the Xterra 70. It seems pretty accurate with the target ID. She also uses the Xterra 70 for compitetion hunts and does very well with it.
I like both machines, but I would have to give the Xterra a slight advantage over the Vaq because of its accurate target ID readings, light weight and ability to change to different freq. coils depending on what type of hunting you are doing.

Thanks for the reply, I thumb the dics as well. Marked the face plate where certain things fall out at, its very consistant where things disc at, once you get a hair past what it says the target drops out. Glad to hear the xterra is the same.

I've used both and I think I would have to give the X-Terra the edge. Target ID is very good and the different coils for the X-70 make it so versatile. It is also very light and has huge display numbers. Disc'. is very good and changes to the menu for different settings is sooo very easy. Good Luck

Hi,

I've used both. The main difference is in the discrimination systems. The Vaquero is a good old single knob setting. Everything below the setting is rejected, everything above goes beep.

The XT70 (now 705) offers a target id notch discrimination system plus multiple tone id schemes. plus optional automatic or manual ground balancing.

For a basic unit the Vaquero is very light and packs a punch at a bargain price. But for anyone wanting more than just the basics the X-Terra 705 offers far more features.

Steve Herschbach

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back