DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, this happens a lot...I've been detecting an area lately where I found a 1774 spanish reale with a different detector and when I take the Vaquero to this same spot most of my good signals are just deep square nails. This indicates that the property is just really old and since these types of nails have been there longer they have more of a coin signal to them because the rust forms a "halo". I have had shallow nails do this too. Only issue for me is that the area I'm detecting is really rocky...there are rocks the size of baseballs in this dirt and its tough to dig up every signal. Just gotta keep trying to learn its "language", but I've had mine for over 2 years and I still can't seem to learn it

OP
OP
Southern_Justice

Southern_Justice

Jun 24, 2009
Springfield TN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Yeah I've learned a lot about the vaquero in the 3 months I've had it but I still get tricked a lot by that rusty iron. I can usually tell when it's rusty iron after I start digging. It will start falling on the dirt I take out not ringing good but chirping and I'm guessing that's just where the object has started deteriorating and I guess ionized the ground. Overall I love the vaquero. But I'm still along way from mastering its language.

rws51

May 12, 2009
Southern Justice, Rusty iron gives most detectors fits but usually its sound gives it away. A coin will have a smoother sound to it where the iron will be a sharper tone.
Try raising your coil over the target, if you still get a signal 6 or 8 inches above the ground it is probably a big or iron target. Keep on learning what the Vaquero is telling you
by listening to the signals and then digging the target. The Vaquero is a great detector and once you become familiar with it you will see your finds increase. HH

Roger

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if tesoro use a have way decent speaker you would be able to tell the difference easier
but your doing it keep at it you will learn

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I've learned a lot about the vaquero in the 3 months I've had it but I still get tricked a lot by that rusty iron. I can usually tell when it's rusty iron after I start digging. It will start falling on the dirt I take out not ringing good but chirping and I'm guessing that's just where the object has started deteriorating and I guess ionized the ground. Overall I love the vaquero. But I'm still along way from mastering its language.
I believe the higher frequencies tend to like iron more, as well as gold. It does get old digging rusty iron. Sometimes you can just break up the matrix of the ground with your digger, then the signal is usually identified by the Vaq as trash, and you can move on. It sucks to get 3 or 4 faint beeps, then dig and find nothing, or iron trash.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if tesoro use a have way decent speaker you would be able to tell the difference easier
but your doing it keep at it you will learn
I don't think I would ever use the speaker to hear my Vaq. That's what headhpones are for! I use headphones 100% of my hunting time with ANY detector I use.

OP
OP
Southern_Justice

Southern_Justice

Jun 24, 2009
Springfield TN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
I havnt invested in headphones are they really worth it. What is the advantages. I don't hunt in loud areas or anything like that and can hear the speaker fine.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure wish they would have made this detector with multitone instead of just one. I want to like mine but it sure has'nt swept me off my feet.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havnt invested in headphones are they really worth it. What is the advantages. I don't hunt in loud areas or anything like that and can hear the speaker fine.
Yes it does help alot. Even some calrad made ones for about 25 bucks (that's what I use) will really help alot with hearing some fainter signals and distinguishing the different nuances of the tone. The headphones also help me to focus better.

TC-NM

Jun 8, 2008
Sunny AZ
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro & Spectra V3i / White's E Series 9000 & Sunray Pro Golds HP's / Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT/ White's digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This happens to the Vaquero or any other brand. You might clean up and take out the rusty iron pieces which may take you some time do. Try gridding an area say 10'x 10' and work it slow. The good stuff maybe masked by iron/nails etc. Patience Brother Patience!

TC-NM

Does anyone else using a vaquero have problems with rusty iron ringing up as a coin. I've been digging a lot of solid targets that doing like coins only to find rusty iron and sometimes it's not even deep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread