Various iron/lead objects found at civil war site

bluegrass digger

Feb 18, 2015
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone could help identify the objects that I am having trouble identify. Sure, I could speculate, but I know someone in the forum has a better idea. The site has produced a large number of civil war camp relics and hardly any modern trash. I've found a ton of nails as one would at a civil war camp site. Therefore, I feel the objects are civil war related and any help would be much appreciated. I want to add that the two pictures of two objects are iron with a lead back.

Attachments

• IMG_0544.JPG
    IMG_0544.JPG
    304.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0545.JPG
    IMG_0545.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0546.JPG
    IMG_0546.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 82

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Number 7 appears to be a sling swivel from a rifle or musket.

Upvote 0

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No. 2 has the shape of a heel plate ...........

Upvote 0

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DIGGER 1 AND 4 GO TOGETHER FOR I HAVE THE SAME ITEM AND WAS TOLD A PICK FOR EITHER A POWDER BAG OR CLEANING PICK FOR A CANNON FUSE HOLE MINE HAS A POINTED END, 9- I THINK A TRACE CHAIN PART , 7 SLING . FOR THE ITEMS I MENTIONED A FELLA TOLD MINE WERE ASSOCIATED WITH THE CIVIL WAR.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Number 1 might be part of a friction primer for firing a cannon. The primer is inserted into the cannon vent, a lanyard hooked to it and sharply jerked, which ignites the primer, setting
off the main charge. Here is a picture of a friction primer that hasn't been fired, and you can see the part I'm talking about.
1A.jpg
Number eight is a spike, and number nine is a toggle off a chain. The toggle is turned to lay along the chain, then inserted through a ring. Kind of a quick hookup and quick release.
1AA.jpg
They are used today when rafting logs on a log pond, yours is probably off something to do with a horse or mule pulling something.
And I agree, number 7 is a sling swivel.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bluegrass digger

Feb 18, 2015
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great responses. Often I was hesitant to dig iron signals, thinking it would be another nail. However, I'm glad that I have. In addition to the iron relics above, I've found a bayonet tip, gun tool/wrench, and two bullet extracting worm tools.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread