What's new

Vehicle tag?

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2010
Messages
7,742
Reaction score
12,709
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this tag today and was wondering if anyone could give me any info on it. It reads "vehicle" at the top right. Under that are the numbers 46496. Beneath that "Georgia _otor(Motor). Under that is 19_ _. Then in the bottom left it reads V(?) eric_ _
I didn't put anything in for size so I am including a picture of todays finds with a half dime to give you an idea.
 

Attachments

  • April 09 finds.webp
    April 09 finds.webp
    138.7 KB · Views: 293
  • vehicle tag 1.webp
    vehicle tag 1.webp
    126.7 KB · Views: 283
Spooky said:
That may be a "year tag' that was bolted in addition to the plate itself, (kinda like the stickers function now)

You might post this in the 'GA' section here....

Yeah I was thinking some kind of Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), bolted on the chassy somewhere used a check for stolen vehicles & date of car if it looks tampered with. - This is just a guess & the modern ones are 17 digits so its probably wrong :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Not any kind of VIN or license plate tag I've ever seen & I've been in the car business for 35 years and an old car nut for almost as long. Also never seen a VIN number with the name of the state listed other than modern state issued VIN numbers for kit cars & thet type of thing and those are normally a decal. If I had to guess I'd say maybe a taxi license or chaufeur permit type tag. Possibly a manufacturer issued VIN tag for a trailer or something like that made in Georgia but unlikely it was from a car or truck.
 
Upvote 0
These are called dash tags. They were used before and sometimes in addition to the more traditional rectangular tags mounted on the front or back of vehicles. These were affixed on the dash.

Here is one I found here in Arkansas. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,218764.0.html
 

Attachments

  • 1919-tag.webp
    1919-tag.webp
    30.1 KB · Views: 240
  • 1919-tag.webp
    1919-tag.webp
    30.1 KB · Views: 234
Upvote 0
Thanks for the ID on the dash tag. Green check coming up.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom