Version 3 to Version 5 update question

dasabighole

Sep 11, 2006
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Nautilus / Tesoro/T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I found and purchased a 2014 Deus that was only used 3 times. I had a friend update it to Version 5 or whatever was in vogue 2020. It came with The Deus Handbook by Andy Sabisch that was printed in 2013. So my question... Do the settings, program settings, target ID values and all information in this book change when you upgrade to 5? It came with the 9 and 11" coils. And I'm thinking about a new HF coil. I haven't used it a lot and having trouble learning it. Especially if the book is outdated. I bought it to hunt some really iron infested early sites. One , a mineral springs site hotel built in 1818 and burned in1921 so it lasted until tin roofing came into Play. How can I adapt this now vintage machine? Or so I put it back on Craigslist and buy a new one?

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
That's Andy's newest book. Full of great info...
The settings and info are the same.
A lot of the updates were for bug fixes.
It takes a while to learn the language of the Deus, so take your time.
Pick a program and stick with it.
Changing programs and settings often will mess with you and take longer to learn the Deus.
It's a GREAT machine for those heavy iron sights.

Good luck

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Try the simple. Deus Fast, 0 Discrimination, volume to your own ears, go slow. I have found many times in the iron if I swing a normal Deus speed it will still miss in the iron. High tone in the three tone. Generally factory setting will put you in the 6.2 range of discrimination, but if you want hear every target bring it down to zero. From running Minelabs for a decade or more it was/is a learning curve.
The HF coil is another game changer in iron laden sites I found.
Then again I'm in no rush these days it seems

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try the simple. Deus Fast, 0 Discrimination, volume to your own ears, go slow. I have found many times in the iron if I swing a normal Deus speed it will still miss in the iron. High tone in the three tone. Generally factory setting will put you in the 6.2 range of discrimination, but if you want hear every target bring it down to zero. From running Minelabs for a decade or more it was/is a learning curve.
The HF coil is another game changer in iron laden sites I found.
Then again I'm in no rush these days it seems

FWIW - Unless you are using full tones (where iron volume doesn’t work), you don’t have to go with 0 disc to hear it all. That’s what iron volume is for - it allows you to hear iron if desired while still running with discrimination. Why? That way you can take advantage of the additional things using disc brings to the table such as: proper operation of the ferrous/non-ferrous horseshoe and depth graphic and curtailing ferrous down averaging of non-ferrous target IDs. Furthermore, you don’t lose a tone bin if you properly apply disc. All of the above is the reason why XP set the Deus Fast default disc setting 6.2 in the first place. Just an alternate viewpoint from someone who successfully hunts with discrimination with the Deus. HTH

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread