What's new

Very First Relic!

NewB

Greenie
Joined
Mar 29, 2008
Messages
14
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
East TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, Fisher 1270.
This is my very first relic find ever!
I found it in a wooded area on some property dating back to the 1790s.
I was told, and later found it in a book, that it was used on horse teams
to hook the pole strap to the pole.


IMG_0091321654.jpg
 
Cool Relic you never know what you may find (happy hunting).........Mags
 

Attachments

  • Picture 009.webp
    Picture 009.webp
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,707
  • Picture 009.webp
    Picture 009.webp
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,709
Its cool that you can ID your rusty relics like that
most of my rust just gets thrown out,
HH,
Donny
 
Its cool that you can ID your rusty relics like that
most of my rust just gets thrown out,

I didn't have a clue.
But one of the men that went with us just happened to know.
And then I found a book about some of the equipment they used at
that time period and turned out, he was right. :)
 
NewB said:
Its cool that you can ID your rusty relics like that
most of my rust just gets thrown out,

I didn't have a clue.
But one of the men that went with us just happened to know.
And then I found a book about some of the equipment they used at
that time period and turned out, he was right. :)
Well its always great to have someone who knows about relics around.
I try to get my hands on those kind of books so I can help with IDs too.
The "what is it" forum on this site is great for IDing stuff.
HH,
Donny
 
Nice job!
Its off of what is known as a singletree.
 

Attachments

  • singletree.webp
    singletree.webp
    2.3 KB · Views: 1,651
Nice find,

HH
 
Good job!! I'm sure its just the first of many more that you will find.
 
Way to go NewB. You for sure have the bug now. It is an awesome feeling to hold something in your hands with such history of our great country. Now get back out there swinging and get some more.
Good Hunting!!
 
Nice find! I found something once that now looking at this one, well probably what i had!! Long gone in the trash, so I guess keep everything till you know what you got. Good job! I hope your hooked. Shane
 
I found one the other day on an old farm, we figured it had to do with hitching horses, thanks for the post. If I bring it home, I'll snap a pic and share, its very very similar and looks hand made. Mine was down about 12" in front of the house.
 
Definitely off of a single tree.

FWIW, this is one of two ends. IIRC, most single and double trees were made of white oak, but I'm sure that any type of hardwood could have been used.

The iron would have been fitted onto the wood while very hot, and then water poured over it to make the iron contract when cooled for a VERY strong bond between the iron and wood.
 
You are correct in what it is and there are many versions and styles of these. The pole you referred to is actually called a Yoke or a Single Tree.
Single tree Yoke.webp
 
This is my very first relic find ever!
I found it in a wooded area on some property dating back to the 1790s.
I was told, and later found it in a book, that it was used on horse teams
to hook the pole strap to the pole.

Yup! That is a Center Clip, would of had a ring attached to it. made from wrought-iron used mostly on plow singletrees. When used with a neck-yoke and one more tree you could hitch a team of 4 horses.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom