What's new

Very hot day on the lower Potomac river!

StoneHunter

Full Member
Joined
May 7, 2013
Messages
125
Reaction score
344
Golden Thread
0
Location
NoVa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

Lately I've been itching to hit the river and find some fossils! So, I launched the yak out of Fairview Beach at sunrise yesterday and paddled up river. The air was cool with the occasional scent of honeysuckle wafting across the water. I love gliding along slowly and quietly while observing the wildlife along the shore. I happened across a young fox sleeping on a large boulder of turritella fossils. When I reached the stretch of shoreline where in the past I've had 100+ shark tooth days, I discovered the property owner had posted the shoreline. Also, they've cut most of the trees at the top of the bluffs resulting in mudslides which have covered large portions of the beach. No matter, a little further up the river and I was hunting!

20180806_092551.webp 20180806_073152.webp 20180806_092829.webp 20180806_104436.webp20180807_105854.webp

The two sand tiger shark teeth measure 1.5" each.

Man was it hot! Never the less, I made short work of the 2.3 mile paddle back, stopping in at Tim's Rivershore for a cold drink and a couple dozen crabs for wifey!
 
It sure was hot yesterday but an absolutely gorgeous day to be on the water. Nice finds!

It certainly was by 3pm. First thing in the morning, the water was beautiful...
 
rare finds there.. lucky for you
 
Nice fossil finds! They're all in great condition.
 
Nice tooth day! Is there much in the way of Native American artifacts up that way?
 
Nice tooth day! Is there much in the way of Native American artifacts up that way?

GaRebel1861 - Yes. I've found a small number of NA points at this location over the years. I've also picked up a couple of CW bullets from this local which wasn't a surprise since there is supposed to be a CW gun enplacement on a nearby bluff. Also, I was recently told by a fellow collector that they've picked up NA pottery from this beach.
 
Sounds like a good place!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom