What's new

Very production Missouri hunt

Twitch

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
2,884
Reaction score
2,359
Golden Thread
0
Location
Missouri
I took one of my boys out yesterday to hunt a local water way. We found this site about 10 months and have done OK with it so far. Yesterday didn't start out well as we weren't the first people there. However, there is always something to be learned by observing the hunting patterns of others. Not knowing the site terribly well seeing where the other hunter spent his time gives us additional information that we'll exploit moving forward. Didn't find much the first couple of places we focused on. Found a 4" unhafted knife and a potentially worked large nodule. Got to the best spot and after a few minutes I found a ~3-1/4" paddle drill in perfect shape. Creek stained Burlington and not so much as a nick on it which is amazing considering where I found it. This is 2nd large nice drill I've found at that spot in 10 months. I left it in-situ and walked over to the 11 year old so that I could help guide him back to 'find' the drill. Right when I got to him I spotted a ~3-1/2" Dalton or Hemphill variant only feet away. The tip look to be both reworked and slightly damaged. Either way it's a cool point and is the 5th or 6th Dalton (piece) I've found on this section. I'm confident that a great one will pop out eventually. Thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3788.webp
    IMG_3788.webp
    1.5 MB · Views: 159
  • IMG_3789.webp
    IMG_3789.webp
    1.6 MB · Views: 124
Upvote 0
More pics
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3790.webp
    IMG_3790.webp
    823 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_3787.webp
    IMG_3787.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 134
One more
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3792.webp
    IMG_3792.webp
    899.5 KB · Views: 122
Fantastic drill and the Dalton would've been a killer. Great finds and something to fire up your young'un.
 
Nice finds that drill is unreal.... Looks like they really blend in with the rest of the rocks ....you must have good eyes anymore I have to stay hunched over so I don't miss them
 
So what state are you in now? I know you seem to travel a bit. Those are some good finds and you must have some good eyes to be able to spot them in all of them cobbles. Take a 5 gallon bucket next time and rinse some of them gravel bars off maybe some flint will pop for you.
 
So what state are you in now? I know you seem to travel a bit. Those are some good finds and you must have some good eyes to be able to spot them in all of them cobbles. Take a 5 gallon bucket next time and rinse some of them gravel bars off maybe some flint will pop for you.

Rock - in Missouri now. I joined T-net in 2010. Have lived in IL, VA, GA and MO since then. Certainly it makes it hard to move to a new area and start cold finding hunting spots every couple of years. I'm making a little more progress and getting the area figured out. Planning on staying for while. The drill is super nice, ended up being 3-1/4" and not a nick on it. Amazingly my 11 year (the one in the pic) found an 1830 Capped Bust half dollar yesterday making this weekend really outstanding.
 
Found the Capped Bust without a metal detector Twitch? That is super, please post a picture of it. Good for him!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom