very small trilobite and bird

mclean

Jul 21, 2013
Scotland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
birds from stone 005.jpg birds from stone 001.jpg birds from stone 004.jpg

We were lucky to notice the little trilobite, and there was a coral or shell that came of the side of the rock that looks like it has a bird painted on it. The little rock is pictured from both sides.
Would anyone know what type of coral or fossil it might have been

Attachments

• birds from stone 002.jpg
    birds from stone 002.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 98
  • birds from stone 008.jpg
    birds from stone 008.jpg
    696.9 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi mclean, good eyes..nice find ;) hard to tell..might be a gastropod even. Did your stone matrix come from the seaside?

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be wrong, but your item in the first photo looks too much like a fossil gastropod (Clam shell). JMO!

birds from stone 005.jpg

OP
OP
mclean

mclean

Jul 21, 2013
Scotland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rock was found by a fresh water burn,

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rock was found by a fresh water burn,
Age wise (trilobite and your unknown fossil)..there would have been saltwater sea back then.Paleontologist's say they have proof that Canadian trilo's and Scot/UK trilo's were from the same area/sea aged 400+ million yrs ago. Your trilobite looks identical to the one I chiseled/grinded/drilled into a necklace I've worn for 10 yrs or more! :) Hope you keep fossil hunting my friend! ;)

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Age wise (trilobite and your unknown fossil)..there would have been saltwater sea back then.Paleontologist's say they have proof that Canadian trilo's and Scot/UK trilo's were from the same area/sea aged 400+ million yrs ago. Your trilobite looks identical to the one I chiseled/grinded/drilled into a necklace I've worn for 10 yrs or more! :) Hope you keep fossil hunting my friend! ;)
Here is the one..comparison look familiar? ;)
2014-01-04 15.56.39.jpg
It's been dated from the Silurian/Cambrian time period.(430-500+million yr. age)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll go along with the piece of trilobite pygidium (last segements of the hind end). But no way that is a bird or any piece of one. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions