BioProfessor
Silver Member
- Joined
- Apr 6, 2007
- Messages
- 2,917
- Reaction score
- 85
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Mankato, MN
- Detector(s) used
- Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Greeting again from the Netherlands. The potato crop is starting to come out and I'm getting back to some places that have given up some nice medieval finds. I braved the rain today to hunt a freshly harvested part of a field. Found the normal stuff - coin from the 1600's, clothes fasteners, lead bale seals, musket balls, etc. and then this popped out of the ground.
I've dug a lot of rings (mostly horse tack) in a lot of places but nothing like this. It is solid and came out of the ground just like this. My best guess is that it is brass. There is no green bronze disease so I'm pretty sure it is not bronze.
I've looked at what is called "Ring Money" and all the examples I can find that are this thick and big are made by bending a rod into a circle. This one was not bent and there is little evidence of a sprue of a size needed to cast something of this size. So I'm stumped.
Any help, guidance, or similar finds would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Daryl
I've dug a lot of rings (mostly horse tack) in a lot of places but nothing like this. It is solid and came out of the ground just like this. My best guess is that it is brass. There is no green bronze disease so I'm pretty sure it is not bronze.
I've looked at what is called "Ring Money" and all the examples I can find that are this thick and big are made by bending a rod into a circle. This one was not bent and there is little evidence of a sprue of a size needed to cast something of this size. So I'm stumped.
Any help, guidance, or similar finds would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Daryl





I also still don't see why someone working with it around their neck with dirt and dust building up on it sliping back and forth through the ring can't wear that groove mark I'm seeing.Just me, it may be logical if it was in my hand.
And now I need to get ready for work today.








