Video of diver finding a piece of eight from the Atocha Shipwreck!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
It's amazing that after all these years they're still finding silver and gold. The cargo those ships carried was staggering.

Those genuune grade 1 pieces of eight from the Atocha can be worth $5000 or more. But then there's always those on ebay for maybe $150 ;D

The thing I think about is there are no doubt many more great ships yet to be found.

Great video...thanks for posting it.

Badger

OP
OP
Larsmed

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Badger

I was just on travel discovery online and found a video of a woman who found piece of eight within 30 minutes diving on one of mel fisher lease sites...and guess what?? they let her keep the coin!!

Drudge

Nov 19, 2007
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab: eTrac, Excalibur II, Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might end up having a heart attack if i found something like that...i'd be happy though ;D

Jimi D Pirate

Oct 28, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000 + AQUA PULSE
Badger, If you are an investor with the Fisher group and you get to dive with them, then they will let you keep the first coin you find. I invested way back when and today I have 18 nice Atocha pieces of eight through division, most are grade 2. I posted a picture of them awhile back on Shipwrecks and would post another picture but I keep most of that stuff in a safe deposit box among other goodies!!!
Nowadays most of my diving is on the 1715 fleet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread