Video: Opossums are awesome animals. Please dont hurt them.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Video: Opossums are awesome animals. Please don't hurt them.

I recently learned this myself as I found I have one living under my deck out back. I was concerned that it would bring disease for evil death to my dogs... But, I learned that they are as harmless as can be. They are 'ugly' looking only because we don't see them that often... but you should think of them as a small Panda bear. They have absolutely no defenses, and will never hurt you or your animals. Please watch this video as it is quite informative.

F

Felinepeachy

Re: Video: Opossums are awesome animals. Please don't hurt them.

Opossums ARE wonderful. They never bother my pets. Here's a pic of my cat and an opossum that stopped over for the night. I fed it a can of peaches, they love those.
Laie_98.gif

Picture 006.jpg

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

Another cute video.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm glad that gal in the first video confessed up that her possum is a PET..........along about the 4 minute mark in the show. Up until then she was giving the idea that a person could just walk up to a possum in the woods and start playing with it. Those teeth are needle sharp and the "O" will eat you up if you try to pick it up.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

Shortstack said:
I'm glad that gal in the first video confessed up that her possum is a PET..........along about the 4 minute mark in the show. Up until then she was giving the idea that a person could just walk up to a possum in the woods and start playing with it. Those teeth are needle sharp and the "O" will eat you up if you try to pick it up.
Yes, as with any animal that is cornered, they will use what ever they have to survive. But, these animals, if left alone, will do one thing... they will run the other way and avoid danger. Incidentally, the open mouth showing of teeth is just a threat an nothing more. They are too slow to do any real damage. They cannot defend themselves from simple animals at all. They do that so they can turn around and RUN! These critters are very slow, and they are often given a death sentence simply because humans see these teeth as evil, and take a shovel to their head. I'm hoping that people will realize that these animals are as harmless as a butterfly, and NOT pick up a shovel and end their lives. They are simple creatures and don't mean anyone harm. The only time they will bite, is if you push them into a corner and 'make' them bite, for fear of their life.

Youtube has many videos of opossums. Please check them out and you'll find that they are very loving creatures. They are more scared of you, than you are of them.

And for what it's worth, I'd bite an IRS agent if he cornered me... its nature.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

YUK!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

Did you know that the average life span of an oppossum is one year? Wonder how old they get in captivity.
Carried one home by the tail when I was a kid, it clamped on to my pantleg and would not let go, had to have a dnr officer (he lived down the street) come out and pry it's jaws off of my leg.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread