emptybarrels1.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 595
  • rope.jpg
    rope.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 566

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Sorry, totally and absolutely confused.

You aren't from Newfoundland and you didn't find what you suspect to be viking artifacts there?

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am not from newfoundland, never said i was. but i do feel i found viking houses, used by spanish, then latter occupied in the 1800's.

able_walker

Jun 25, 2007
Sorry,I'm the one who assumed he was in NFLD.That said,there have been a couple of other supposed viking sites there that have never been confirmed,amateurs digging up interesting things.Archaeologists always say leave it and we will eventually get to it,but it's so hard to get funding that I don't really buy it.I think historical things should have govt.involvement but stuff people buried or items lost and I say FINDERS KEEPERS.... ;)

wolfpaw518

Oct 15, 2006
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Sharpshooter II
West coast of the U.S. ah...the plot thickens!

I did a little research on Lake Superior shipwrecks, lots of copper covering wood for protection, like the bottom of masts, but I don't remember reading about anything bronze. Have you checked into the local history yet, museums and such?

neil

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ABLE WALKER
"Archaeologists always say leave it and we will eventually get to it",
tHE CANADAIN ARCH SYSTEM IS SO PATHETIC, I had a rcmp officer come talk to me about artifacts, she asked me when i first aproched the herritage branch, i said 1987, she says,"thats 20 years and they still have not sent any one to see what you found."
I have found 24 of the maquinna heads so far.

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
me thinks someone is trying to confuse folks on here.

First of all...the majority of those artifacts are from native american indian sites from the historic period...some of the pieces are of native american manufacture...some not. The beads are Russian Blue Faceted beads...which makes sense...as we all know the Russians were in the area :)

The button...it's British and it dates between the revolutionary war and the war of 1812...me thinks this button was not likely found on the west coast.

Just my educated opinion of course ;D

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Wess...I'm starting to think that this whole thread sounds a lot like "Who shot John"...also seems awfully familiar...I've heard these stories before...

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WessThompson said:
me thinks someone is trying to confuse folks on here.

First of all...the majority of those artifacts are from native american indian sites from the historic period...some of the pieces are of native american manufacture...some not. The beads are Russian Blue Faceted beads...which makes sense...as we all know the Russians were in the area :)

The button...it's British and it dates between the revolutionary war and the war of 1812...me thinks this button was not likely found on the west coast.

Just my educated opinion of course  ;D

This is why i post stuff, I am not trying to confuse people. I am just trying to find history. Wess, the handle and the anchor, should they be together. I think the button was part of the dagger and came off a copper rivit in the handle. when you say "pieces are of native American manufacture" which ones do you mean.
The ship the boston was i think loaded with weapons and was in 1803, could there be a connection?

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
It's late here in Amsterdam and I'm real confused. Maybe I stayed up too late or something but I can't keep the thread together in my head.

I suggest we do a "Restart."

How about it "hmmm?" Can you start all over? I think we will all do better the second time around.

Daryl

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DARYL if your confused ask some questions, , part of my post was deleted ,this may be whats confusing you. here it is wess, well done
http://www.pbase.com/richard_canada/buttons
with now to search the boston history, it was full of guns, so it could be military connected. the plot thickens.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Ok, I'm confused so here are the questions.

Where are you searching?
What did you find and where was it in your search area?
What were the 4 mounds and did you dig the finds out of there?
What does a bunch of drums have to do with the finds?
Were all the finds located at about the same depth?
Any finds found together?
How do you know you found body armor? Was it buried? Any thing with it?

This would be a good start.

Daryl

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmmm said:
DARYL if your confused ask some questions, , part of my post was deleted ,this may be whats confusing you. here it is wess, well done
http://www.pbase.com/richard_canada/buttons
with now to search the boston history, it was full of guns, so it could be military connected. the plot thickens.

That website belongs to a friend of mine here in Ontario hah

I must have missed the info on the mounds...but some of the holes you had dug looked to be loaded with shells. Is this correct? If so, these are likely shell mounds...or middens. Essentially native american garbage dumps.

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
BioProfessor said:

Where are you searching?

Daryl

Thank You. I too, lost the plot awhile ago.

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BioProfessor said:

Where are you searching?

Daryl
CANADA west coast
wess, the shells are not midden, there is no black, dirt just shels, its beach gravel that has been built up ,i think.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Ok. You are on the west coast of Canada. That's a big area. Please narrow it down a bit. There were numerous tribes, etc. in the Pacific Northwest. Please give us a town close to where you are hunting. That will narrow down who, what, when, and where quite a bit.

So we half an answer to one question.

What did you find in the search area? You showed a couple of things but there is usually all kinds of junque and crape that comes with the "good" stuff. That will help us get a handle on what was there at different times.

So we have almost half an answer to that question.

You say the mounds were made of shells. What species of critter? Are they common to the area? Were they all the same type shell? Did you find anything in the shells. You excavated them. What was there besides the shells?

Again almost half an answer.

You said: "gets better, would you believe the mounds are, empty barrels, burried in beach shels? and i picked this rope up looking at my pictures." What were the barrels made of? How big were they. How deteriorated were they? You say there was rope there. How old was the rope and what condition was it in. What purpose did the ropes serve? Did they tie the drums together? Did they hold the drums in position? What was in the barrels? If they were empty, what remains of the contents did you find. Did it have a particular odor, color, texture (sticky, etc.)?

No real answer here.

Did you dig and find things at about the same depth or were some items underneath others.? What type groupings could you make of items found at similar depths?

No answer here.

You said you found a shield/body armor. Where did you find it? Was it buried? Was it found with anything else or just that alone? What was it made of? What was its condition. How do you know it was body armor?

You say you want information and help from the members of the forum. You say that if we are confused to ask questions.

You don't seem to want to give us any information and until you do, you won't get much help.

So we have asked the questions. It is up to you to provide answers. If you don't want to provide them, I suggest you delete this thread. There's nothing we can do for you.

Daryl

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really did try to follow this thread. Does anyone have a compass? I seem to be lost also.
DG

Attachments

• Sherlock_looks[1].gif
    Sherlock_looks[1].gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 413
  • Sherlock_looks[1].gif
    Sherlock_looks[1].gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 354

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
proff, you sound like a real prosesser, in 1987, my gov said they would send a expert to see what i found, i'mmmm still waiting. to answer all your questions would be a waste of time, since i have my answers.
"How about it "hmmm?" Can you start all over? I think we will all do better the second time around.

OK here goes.

I will start another thread another, this one got confusing, even for me, the bead post got mixed in. ::)
The New topic is stuff from the same area, it's called "ship part, what is it". as for the stuff i posted on here, i got my answer and the body armor has cedar bark on it, i'll have it tested.
;D ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread