What's new

Vinegar and salt for nickels?

SwampHunter

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2007
Messages
422
Reaction score
16
Golden Thread
0
Location
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
I have some nickels that are pretty bad off. In fact you can't even make out what they are since they are so bad. I want to clean them anyway. I tried vinegar and salt on one and it seemed to work somewhat. The other one has been soaking for hours and the crud still hasn't broken loose. I just mixed a bit of salt and a bit of vinegar... just enough to cover the nickel. What am I doing wrong? Anyone have a recipe?
 
You need to be careful doing this. It is one of the ways I clean my nickels but you can easily do to much.
I found a nice 1916 and messed it up with salt and vinegar.

(click for link)
Cleaning my first buffalo :(

HH,
Donny
 
Toss a small piece of aluminum foil into the mix and it will prevent the pitting usually caused by the acid in the vinegar. Monty
 
I almost ruined a valuable find with the vinegar solution and never used
it again. Turns old nickels red, not worth the bother.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom