Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
vintage carpenter's levels and video games

Went to 2 yard sales and a huge flea market this weekend.

Picked up a small but cheap silver pendant at the first yard sale. Picked up a box of vintage video game stuff at the 2nd yard sale. Included is NES console, 2 controllers, 3 zapper guns, spy vs spy game cartridge, power pad accessory, cables. Also came with Sega Genesis console with a controller and 3 crappy game cartridges and cables. There is also an Atari Lynx handheld console and it came with 3 game cartridges. Paid $20 for everything.

At the flea market I picked up 2 vintage carpenter's levels for $10 total. One is a Stanley "Sweetheart" No. 30 in ok condition (1 vial is broken and missing 1 screw) but all the brass trim is there. The other level is beautiful! Made by Henry Disston & Sons, Keystone Tool Works, Philadelphia PA, Patent 1912. It is in awesome shape and looks like a work of art.

Attachments

• IMG_2182levels2.jpg
    IMG_2182levels2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,229
  • IMG_2183levels1.jpg
    IMG_2183levels1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,206
  • IMG_2180games2.jpg
    IMG_2180games2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,148
  • IMG_2181games1.jpg
    IMG_2181games1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,153
OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: vintage carpenter's levels and video games

creeper71 said:
if you don't know the S.W. means sweetheart very collectiable stanley tool line....

Thanks for the info.

The Atari Lynx does work fine after all. I actually just listed it on ebay. Wish me luck.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

called a friend asked about this Henry Disston & Sons, Keystone Tool Works, Philadelphia PA, Patent 1912 he knows alot about vintage hand tools he said that has to be rare an worth a good bit cause he has ever seen one....

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

creeper71 said:
called a friend asked about this Henry Disston & Sons, Keystone Tool Works, Philadelphia PA, Patent 1912 he knows alot about vintage hand tools he said that has to be rare an worth a good bit cause he has ever seen one....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Disston-Sons-Level-24-/130526203834?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e63f7cfba

There are actually a bunch of Disston levels on ebay but the one at the link above is the only one that is a match for mine (and it is also the one that sold for the most money and mine is in better condition). I will probably put it for sale on ebay with good keywords and a "make an offer" and see what happens.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

jerseyben said:
creeper71 said:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Disston-Sons-Level-24-/130526203834?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e63f7cfba

Never use a poorly worded auction to base your price one..I wouldn't give 5.00 for the level in that ebay auction.. you have to describe it better then it's a level .. also from the way it reads the levels are busted or dried out... 27.98 is way to much in my opinion..so i would guess your lvel if mint minus condition would be 90-120.00

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011

I wouldve just went for the Lynx and offered him $5. those other systems are so common, its almost a waste of time selling them. Great $60 handheld though!

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

brendan1414 said:
I wouldve just went for the Lynx and offered him $5. those other systems are so common, its almost a waste of time selling them. Great $60 handheld though!

I'm actually working my own table at a flea market on Saturday so I plan on selling the other 2 systems there for $10 each all inclusive. Too bad the Lynx has some issues but thankfully it still works great so I guess thats all that really counts.

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Anyone have any suggestions for me on how to ship the levels? Where can I find a box that will fit them?

S

stefen

jerseyben said:
Anyone have any suggestions for me on how to ship the levels? Where can I find a box that will fit them?

Either horizontally or straight up :laughing7:

Seriously, get a cardboard tube like those used for posters ( AARON BROS) and tape or cap both ends...inexpensive...

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

jerseyben said:

Post office also has those triangle shaped long boxes...but you've got to pay priority shipping prices...so factor that in when selling.

GT

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

brendan1414 said:

Man were you ever right! Unfortunately the Lynx was kind of jacked up so it only went for $15.50 on ebay. I sold the Spy Vs Spy NES game for $2 and the (3) NES Zapper Guns for $7. However, I cannot get rid of the NES console, Sega Genesis console, or the NES Power Pad. Oh well, lesson learned.

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011

jerseyben said:
brendan1414 said:

Man were you ever right! Unfortunately the Lynx was kind of jacked up so it only went for $15.50 on ebay. I sold the Spy Vs Spy NES game for $2 and the (3) NES Zapper Guns for $7. However, I cannot get rid of the NES console, Sega Genesis console, or the NES Power Pad. Oh well, lesson learned.

yea, ive learned to just pass on those systems, they just dont sell for some reason. they are easily emulated on the computer, and many other systems now a days, where you can get the games for free, i assume thats where the "market" went.

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia

To ship, wrap it in bubble wrap, lay it on a piece of card board 2 inches from one side, fold the long side over, fold down, cut. Then fold the 2 inch side up. Cut your ends so you have 2 flaps, tape and ship.

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hold on guys. Don't just write off the old NES and Genesis systems. If you find an original 1984-1985 console in good condition, it should sell pretty easily on Craigslist. Although they were incredibly popular, a lot of people junked their system years ago. As they get older and want to relive the simplicity of their childhood, more and more people are looking to buy the consoles in good working order. Sure you won't get rich off of them, but turning a profit isn't too difficult.

Also, some games are worth quite a bit (but most aren't). Nonetheless, check out this site for values before listing games on eBay:

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Sold the NES and Sega + games ($10). Still have the Power Pad.

jkernea

Greenie
Jan 10, 2011

jerseyben said:

NES systems are typically better to sell at flea markets (you can sell for around $30 with hookups and a single game)....the Sega Genesis systems are pretty much useless.

Just an FYI on some older, more obscure video game systems that you need to be on the lookout for:

Sega Nomad - a handheld video game system that plays Sega Genesis cartridges

Sega CDX - a tiny video game system that plays Sega Genesis and Sega CD games

JVC X'eye - third party attempt at the Sega CDX

These all fetch good prices on eBay! Good luck!

I can add more video game stuff.....or start a video game thread about what to look out for if you want me to...or if there's a need to.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

jkernea said:
jerseyben said:

NES systems are typically better to sell at flea markets (you can sell for around $30 with hookups and a single game)....the Sega Genesis systems are pretty much useless.

Just an FYI on some older, more obscure video game systems that you need to be on the lookout for:

Sega Nomad - a handheld video game system that plays Sega Genesis cartridges

Sega CDX - a tiny video game system that plays Sega Genesis and Sega CD games

JVC X'eye - third party attempt at the Sega CDX

These all fetch good prices on eBay! Good luck!

I can add more video game stuff.....or start a video game thread about what to look out for if you want me to...or if there's a need to.

Good Luck!

Virtual Boy is also worth a pretty penny. The Atari Lynx seems to do well if in good condition. Also the Atari Jaguar CD system is worth some cash. Sega Dreamcast in perfect shape is a good buy if you can get one CHEAP. Its really the games that are worth big bucks. There is a list floating around with the top 25 rare games (a quick google search will pull it up).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread