What's new

Virgin cellar yields KGII, 14 buttons and a derringer pistol!

Coilcrazy2

Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2010
Messages
276
Reaction score
744
Golden Thread
3
Location
Reading, pa
🥇 Banner finds
3
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, gray ghost headphones,
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw
Hey everyone,
I decided to venture deep into the woods today to check out a site that I located on google earth. It was not documented on any of the early maps but on the aerial shot I could see a disturbance in the tree canopy along a stream. I figured I'd go see what this was all about and I'm glad I did! It was about a 2 mile hike but as soon I got there I got the KGII and knew I was on an old site. After that the buttons started popping up and then I got a sweet signal on the T2 and pulled out the derringer! I thought it was a toy cannon at first. I brushed it off and noticed it has a makers mark that says " E L G". I don't know much about pistols or guns in general so any info on that would be appreciated. I also discovered that it has some paper packing still in the barrel? The other relics consisted of: A cool little pewter plate with a star? An almost complete pewter spoon, the inside of a shoe buckle, a stirrup and some other odds and ends. The KG looked much better when I first dig than it does now but I guess that's just the nature of these coppers.
Thanks!
CC
** Heres another one of the same pistols that was found by a tnet member. Looks like this might be the newest thing I pulled from this cellar hole.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/161832-gun-maybe.html
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    278.7 KB · Views: 260
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    320.3 KB · Views: 236
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    257.9 KB · Views: 254
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    325.6 KB · Views: 221
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    225.5 KB · Views: 226
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    213.2 KB · Views: 222
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    240.7 KB · Views: 221
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    243.3 KB · Views: 251
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    274.5 KB · Views: 216
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    212.3 KB · Views: 221
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    208.7 KB · Views: 234
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    282.4 KB · Views: 222
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    751.9 KB · Views: 211
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    356.3 KB · Views: 205
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    304.6 KB · Views: 231
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    326.7 KB · Views: 210
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    309.8 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Upvote 70
Freakin awesome wow you've got a hot spot there. Sweet pistol Keep postin your finds That's awesome
 
VERY NICE! Congrats :occasion14:
 
Nice finds. I know what you mean on those old coppers too
 
The mark on the pistol barrel is actually E L G which is a proof mark for Belgium. I have an FN FAL rifle made in the 1960s with the same proof mark on the barrel. They have used this proof mark for a couple hundred years if I remember correctly.
 

Attachments

  • lt side.webp
    lt side.webp
    10.3 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1780_zpsb998558d.webp
    IMG_1780_zpsb998558d.webp
    36.1 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Nice finds. I know what you mean on those old coppers too
I think it's something with the pa/Maryland/jersey soil. I don't even think about running mine under water anymore. It takes all the detail out of em. Coppers found a little farther up north seem to hold up to cleaning a little better
 
I dont even bother cleaning my coppers much. The soil is very hard on them in most areas around me. The soil near the river in some areas is quite sandy and coins come out great there. Now i just need to find a good site in this soil type
 
The mark on the pistol barrel is actually E L G which is a proof mark for Belgium. I have an FN FAL rifle made in the 1960s with the same proof mark on the barrel. They have used this proof mark for a couple hundred years if I remember correctly.
Thanks! I think you might be right about the "ELG". Thank you for directing my research.
 
Cool pistol, bet there's more to that site to come out for you.
 
Not bad.....for a first hunt!
I'm sure you'll have a whole lot more to show from that site!

You had a really good hunt there!
 
Sweet finds! Love those Belgian boot pistols.
 
Cool finds. Congrats.
 
Fantastic relic hunt! You found a "hand full" of interesting items! :occasion14:
 
Looks like mine is post 1846 to pre 1870 like this one. Strange for a colonial site but ill take it!

Just wondering why it would be strange at a colonial site....because you found the site not by written history, nor spotted it on a old dated topo?

I'm finding some early sites here, and I seem to be obsessed with learning when each one was first occupied, and when it was abandoned. But without written history, I doubt I could determine anything close by only using the relics or coins. (there always seems to be a spread of more than 100 years by looking at the artifacts)


At any rate, that was a stellar hunt (and detective work) and I bet you were flipping out when all the non ferrous popped up so quick! Like, wow, I'm the first guy here! (that's a big thrill for me)
 
killer.webp

Jerry and I agree that this was a KILLER hunt. Congrats on the beautiful relics! The Derringer is amazing. Sub 8-)
 
Holy Cow,that was simply an awesome hunt.
 
Toy plate & parasol end. The gun is a great find
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom