Virgin Roman Site - Day 2 - Plus the Return of a Gold Ring after 70 years!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After several days of rain, today was a clear day. The rain had stopped the Harvesting but what it did do was give the farmer a chance to disc up all the oil-seed rape stalks. This gave us a couple more options, which we needed after less than 2 hours, because we had finished the Virgin Roman Site. We broke for lunch with very little to show, other than 1 scrappy & the Roman Pendant.
After lunch we tried a field that the farmer had told us that his Mother had lost a ring over 70 years ago whilst picking Potato's. When we heard that, we stated we would give it ago & you never know we may find it. Not really giving it much hope, as it's a huge field & the lost area was vague. At this point we were not thinking about the ring & we were not gridding that area, I was just trying to find a hot spot or a reason to grid. The reason came with the Hammered which saved the day, so I started to grid that area & bang the Gold Ring pops out. I thought, could this really be the ring, it's in the right area, but at the time I though it looked Victorian & a little bit manly. So we finished up early after 4 hours total detecting & took it down to show the owner, he was shocked, to say the least. I said I just wanted to picture it & research the hallmark, & Cru'dad will returned it (with the information), see return picture.
What a way to turn the day around, finding the lost ring on the first try of that field in less than 1 hour (whilst not looking for it)!

1 Scrappy
Roman Lunar & Phallic Pendant (type I need)
18th C Nut Cracker - My first complete & still working example!
Hammered Halfgroat of Lizzy circa 1585.
1943-44 Birmingham Gold Ring returned to the family - priceless:icon_thumright: (lost circa 1949)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    199 KB · Views: 61
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 19 07 29 Gold Ring Return.JPG
    19 07 29 Gold Ring Return.JPG
    750.4 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Upvote 40
That’s a nice return.
The nut cracker is interesting
And the hammered is great.

You guys sure have a lot of fun over there. Honorable mention for the nice return!

Wow, great! Pretty cool to find the ring whilst not searching for it. The most common way to find gold. The pendant is fantastic! Hammered as well and a nutcracker...Do you remember the nutcracker with the viking decoration i found years ago? I almost fainted seeing silver with griffins.... :laughing9:
That was a good day you had. Now i vote for your honorable mention. :icon_thumleft:

Great finds as always, and a great return here as well - well done mate! :skullflag: :occasion14:

Very Nice!!! Good Job!!! Congrats!!!

Unbelievable! That field is huge ! :hello2:

That's amazing. My grandpa bought a lot in Burlington Iowa after his 1918 tour in France that he hoped to build a house for his new bride on someday. In the meantime he made a vegetable garden out of it. One time digging in the garden he uncovered a 18k British hallmarked gold ring with five old European cut diamonds. My mother said he posted an add in the local paper that he found it, but no one ever replied. I now have it and the marks tell me it was made around 1875 and that lead me to believe it was lost many years before he discovered it. The condition of it is pristine as if it was lost shortly after who ever had it never got to wear it very long. It's a typical engagement ring of the time in the later 19th century.

Last edited:
Hi, wow nice finds and great ring return Congrats:icon:occasion14:

You certainly found the needle in the haystack!!! Congrats on some great finds! I always wanted a phallic lunar pendant for my collection!!

That's a very productive day and great job returning the ring to the family!

Great finds Cru & Co. Congratulations. Your finds amaze me.
Hoping for you that finding and returning the ring will be rewarded by yet another banner find! Honorable Mention sir.

Grease

Amazing can one person be allowed to have that much fun lol great post

Nice ring return! On the nutcracker, what makes it 18th century and not something newer? It doesn't look much different than a modern one. Is there a name on it?

Nice ring return! On the nutcracker, what makes it 18th century and not something newer? It doesn't look much different than a modern one. Is there a name on it?
It's much smaller than a modern one, but has no specific name that I know of. (Patina, acorn terminals, hand etched cross hatching on the out side edges)

Last edited:
Similar examples;
https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/931663

https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/880347

https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/659343

Can't find a perfect match though.

Great post Cru bet that brought back some good memories for him. Awesome finds as well

Great post Cru bet that brought back some good memories for him. Awesome finds as well
He was still emotional the next day!

Great job on the ring recovery! :occasion14:

UPDATE:

Saw the owner today & had a quick chat about the ring. The ring has JMS which is was Mothers maiden name & it looks a bit manly because it was given by his Father. What makes this more special is that until now he owns nothing from his Father who died when he was 4 months old! So although it was his Mother's it did below to his Father for a short period. He said finding that ring was like finding a needle in a haystack.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back