Virginia Civil War Maps

BruceB

Jun 24, 2012
Waldorf, MD
Detector(s) used
Discovery 2200, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didnt see this category and posted this I general discussion first.

Does anyone know where I can get good VA civil war maps. I'm looking for Loiusa County to be particular. I want to do some research and see if my grandfathers land may have had some soldiers run through

Upvote 0

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Equinox 600, GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Didnt see this category and posted this I general discussion first.

Does anyone know where I can get good VA civil war maps. I'm looking for Loiusa County to be particular. I want to do some research and see if my grandfathers land may have had some soldiers run through

I don't think it is that easy. There are good topo maps from the 1910-20 timeframe to give you roads and landmarks that may no longer exist. Your best bet is to check with the local county historical society on the happenings in the county and correlating that with the location of the property.

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might see if the county historical society has any old county atlases in their collection. Check for before, during, and after the Civil War period. Then, search the Official Records for accounts of troop movements in your county. They will typically say stuff like "marched from X to Y" or "camped south of Z." It takes some detective work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions