What's new

Virginia Hunt

relichunters

Bronze Member
Joined
May 4, 2008
Messages
1,647
Reaction score
36
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Looking for people to hit a civil war site. It is on the bank of a river which is all public. A part of the site will remains standing. To my knowledge and research it has never been touched before.

Date Planned: End of August.

Who's Invited: Any detectors in the virginia area, unless you want to travel from another state.

What to bring: From the parking area, it's roughly a 3/4 mile walk. You will want to bring some water or gatorade since its in the middle of the woods.

Heat: There is many trees and shady spots around the area to sit down and take a break. Since it's on a river, if you bring swim suits, you could take a swim!
 
Sounds good.
 
Howdy,

I live in Virginia Beach, and would be interested in attending. Would like more info on when, and for how many days? Would it make a good camping trip? Also, since this is along a river, and I have a water detector, would it be worth hunting the wet stuff as well? Or would we be working the dry only?

I am new to detecting as a whole, and relic hunting is something I have yet to delve into. I would love the opportunity to watch a pro like you, and learn the ropes. But of course, this is wife permitting, lol.

Thanks,
Anthony
 
I'm interested since I never attended a group hunt. I live in Fairfax County and have 2 houses in Powhatan where I will stay if hunt is more than one day. Any day but Sunday. Thanks, RuffandTuff.
 
Narthoniel said:
Howdy,

I live in Virginia Beach, and would be interested in attending. Would like more info on when, and for how many days? Would it make a good camping trip? Also, since this is along a river, and I have a water detector, would it be worth hunting the wet stuff as well? Or would we be working the dry only?

I am new to detecting as a whole, and relic hunting is something I have yet to delve into. I would love the opportunity to watch a pro like you, and learn the ropes. But of course, this is wife permitting, lol.

Thanks,
Anthony

If you want to plan a day at the end of the month then you can, I didn't set a day incase some people couldn't make it.
Camping should be ok to do since it's like in the middle of the woods. Trains may wake you up tho. I had planned on only a day trip, but if more wish to camp you can form a little tent group.
The water is about 2 1/2 foot deep in the middle when I looked at it before. I figure most stuff will be in the water.

Even tho I've been detecting for awhile, and know all the terms and some tricks of the trade. I wouldn't think of myself as a pro. But I can show you some tips.
 
RuffandTuff said:
I'm interested since I never attended a group hunt. I live in Fairfax County and have 2 houses in Powhatan where I will stay if hunt is more than one day. Any day but Sunday. Thanks, RuffandTuff.

If you want to spend more then 1 day at it then its ok. Some might camp there. Hopefully you will come, this is the first time I've ever put together a group hunt before.
 
Sounds good, ill pencil something in and see what I can work out. Since it is August, dont know if camping would be much fun. It is a 3 hour drive from the beach, so we could still get in a good long hunt and make it just a day trip.

Out of curiosity, what sort of activity took place at this site? Would like to have a general idea of the history if you dont mind. I dont need every pertinent detail, as I am sure you want to keep the site to yourself as much as possible, just some general info would be great.

And being the greenhorn I am, just about everyone else is a pro in my eyes, and knows more than I can fathom. Would love the opportunity to learn from some experienced hunters.

Thanks,
Anthony
 
Not sure on other peoples plans but maybe like August 31st on a Sunday would be good? We can play with dates until everyone can make it.

History there was a battle in the area, and general cluster ordered the railroad bridge to be destoryed. So I figured they used gun powder or something to destory it. There is a little bit of it still remaining. The large battle of Rio Hill is just a few miles from it, which they ran from that battle to the Mill building on US-29. Burned and destoryed that, and was pressed back towards this area. Plus the river was the main transportation route for cargo to Milton.
 
Very cool, thanks. Ill keep te date in mind, but if work is slow, I wont be able to attend, since money is tight. Will know for sure closer tot he date.
 
Still looking for more people. The hunt is set for August 31st at 1pm.
 
I am leaning torwards being able to go, but cannot be 100% confirmed yet. I may be bringing a few people with me as well. Wife is almost certain to come, and my boss is interested in it as well, but he almost always backs out of things. I will be bringing 2 detectors, and if my boss does not come, your friend and my wife can take turns using my back up, but, it is not a very good detector. It will work, but not as well as a top of the line detector. I also do not have any gear for digging on land. For water, I have a Diamond Head scoop from Nuttall, would that be sufficient for river digging in this location?

You say the river is only 2 and a half feet deep, and that it was a cargo route. Would the river have been deeper 150 years ago? Or did the boats they use have a shallow draft?

Anthony
 
Cool, bring as many as you can. Thanks for willing to bring an extra, I will make sure she doesn't use it near the water or anything. I only have a bounty hunter, it's cheap but works as well as other detectors.

I use a digging tool from Lowes that has very sharp teeth on both sides of it, and a a larger shovel, half the size of a large normal shovel. Like a mini version of it.
The ground is sand/small rocks. So I don't recommend a plastic shovel. I do have extra digging stuff if you need it.

The water used to be huge back in the day, even 40 years ago it was very big and like 6 foot deep. But they mainly used Canoes for cargo. Not large boats. There was a water front battle somewhere also.
 
Count me in. I live at Lake Monticello.

Are you 100% sure that the property is public? Don't want to get locked up!

Bob, you still going?
 
Yes , I will be there, looking forward to it.
 
Is the hunt still on?
 
Yes it is, there is multiple sites we could go to, but I guess we'll decide which one when we all get together. I say 1pm is still a good time on the 31st.
 
I seriously doubt your going to wake up at 6am in the morning to be here by 9am.
 
I might be able to make it where is everyone going to meet ? earlier the better :-) thanks for the invite

Thanks

Hutch
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom