Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Voce Populi or "Voice of the People" was calling out to me from the ground in Baltimore County today. All I knew when I dug this "toasty" coin was that it was a copper and very corroded, the thick, chunky type of accretion on the coin surfaces. I had recently viewed a video by Green Mountain Metal Detecting that showed how a drastic measure of sanding the coin surface will remove the layers of corrosion and may reveal the hidden details. I took the chance and worked both sides with Fine P 150 grit sand paper. This process did reveal the high relief details of the coin with enough evidence to accurately identify this as a 1760 Voce Populi half penny. The illustrations in "The Official Red Book - A Guide Book of United States Coins" by R.S. Yeoman, 69th edition, p. 49 were a needed aid to compare an excellent specimen to my "sanded-down" example.
IMG_5693 (2).JPG IMG_5694 (2).JPG
The key obverse element is the "P" between the right-facing bust and the rim lettering "POPULI" on the obverse. On the reverse it is easier to see the many similar features, particularly the "B" in "HIBERNIA" falling below the level of the seated figure's right hand, the long arm of the "7" in the date bisects the secant formed by the horizontal line at the bottom of the reverse, and the harp is clearly seen.

This is the oldest coin I've ever dug.

That find came early in my brief hour and a half hunt in a field I've been hunting since the beginning of July. My last post was on finds from this same field.
After the half penny, I dug a large flat button nearby and then I struck silver with a 1960D Washington quarter. About a foot and a half from the quarter, another signal in the 80s (Fisher F75) turned out to be a 1959 Roosevelt dime. The last target of the day was a small flat button with shank.
IMG_5696 (2).JPG IMG_5697 (2).JPG

An amazing hunt, probably my best yet from this field.

Last edited:
Upvote 21

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
should have done a short electrolysis--- with a far better end result. not too late to try, 2-3 minutes then a few seconds with WET worn Brillo--- now yer at bare metal 8-)

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I considered electrolysis. I'd seen that past efforts with that on copper does leave the surface pitted. I knew the "sand-paper" technique meant bare metal - a tough call when you have just one nasty coin to work with. Thanks for the advice.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your oldest dug coin, glad you were able to ID it

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big Congratulations on finding your oldest coin! Thanks for providing all the info about this coin. Very interesting.

Jamie1993

Feb 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your oldest coin yet. Looks like the field wants to give up her secrets one find at a time. Hopefully the electrolysis will give you better detail. I would watch closely while it's in the solution.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!! That's awesome!! Great find, well done! Congrats and HH

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats the very old coin. Quite the history behind that one for sure. Excellent !!!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to port ewen ace, J.Cache, vpnavy, Silvermonkey, Jamie1993, Diggin Dude, and RVRoamer66 for your comments, the "voce populi" of Treasurenet.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on your new oldest coin.

Excellent ID too.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really cool old coin. I would have been terrified to try sandpapering. Nice job.

8Reales

Bronze Member
Dec 16, 2015
Baltimore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, BH Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi mike
Hope u are doin well n congrats on ur oldest coin. The Andre cleaning pencils are always a good option.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My thanks to JackalopeZL1, DFW_THer, 8Reales, MZjavert, CMDiamonddawg, JerseyDigger19, and trapperart for your comments.
I recommend this article on the Voce Populi coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread