Volkssturm Abzeichnung

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
And my GMP with straight shaft, and WS2´s with the 11" coil produced again. Haven´t got most things cleaned yet, but thought you might like to see this (We get tons of this stuff here, but not in so good nick). Found at between 10 inches and a foot on it´s edge, with a very weak signal that was a bit scratchy !! Almost left it, but something said dig, so I did, bloody backs killing me now :(

Ah well, at least I got it, and the other two didn´t ;D :thumbsup:
The first is how it looks, and the second is how I would have to post it on a German forum, due to the laws there !!

Attachments

• Volks Sturm Abzeichnung-500.jpg
    Volks Sturm Abzeichnung-500.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 842
  • Volks Sturm Abzeichnung-500 Deutsch Forums.JPG
    Volks Sturm Abzeichnung-500 Deutsch Forums.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 935
Upvote 0

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
I'm glad you listened to that inner voice and dug it up. Great find! HH

Desertfox

OP
OP
rayredditch

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
We get lots of buttons here from all the ages, 30 year war upto the present, but few badges (This is about the 3rd badge of the 3rd Reich I´ve found). But apart from two little bends (Not creased, just 1mm to 2mm bends), it´s in perfect condition.

OP
OP
rayredditch

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
DJ_Quinn said:
Ray, can you give some background on it?
The German Volkssturm was the equivalent of the British Home Guard in WWII. The were formed in late 1944, and consisted of pensioners, disabled, and school children. It was Hitlers last big crime against his own people. They were armed mostly with looted weapons or cheap pressed steel mass produced weapons of very poor quality, and panzerschreck which was a type of bazooka witha shaped charge and capable of taking out any known tank in it´s day, being rocket propelled, and single shot throw away (Like the 66mm LAW´s of today).
They were ordered to fight to the last drop of blood, and any caught hiding, running away, or not having enough guts in the eye´s of the Gestapo/SS/Feld Jäger, were hanged on the spot.
Very few Volkssturm items exist today as it was mostly very poor quality, so I´m amazed this survived.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find Ray! :thumbsup:None of the nazi badges I found were in that good of shape . Most have bad corrision or have been hit with plows. :-\

OP
OP
rayredditch

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Although it has the shape of a Tinny, it´s made of pressed Copper, where as the Tinnies were made of plated steel. Also very few Tinnies were produced at the end of the war (Anywhere after 1942 really), and only the first few battalions of Volkssturm got issued with Uniforms, and maybe Badges ! Later Volkssturm only got arm bands and if lucky a book on how to fight !

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
rayredditch said:
DJ_Quinn said:
Ray, can you give some background on it?
The German Volkssturm was the equivalent of the British Home Guard in WWII. The were formed in late 1944, and consisted of pensioners, disabled, and school children. It was Hitlers last big crime against his own people. They were armed mostly with looted weapons or cheap pressed steel mass produced weapons of very poor quality, and panzerschreck which was a type of bazooka witha shaped charge and capable of taking out any known tank in it´s day, being rocket propelled, and single shot throw away (Like the 66mm LAW´s of today).
They were ordered to fight to the last drop of blood, and any caught hiding, running away, or not having enough guts in the eye´s of the Gestapo/SS/Feld Jäger, were hanged on the spot.
Very few Volkssturm items exist today as it was mostly very poor quality, so I´m amazed this survived.

Thanks Ray, what an interesting find. I can't wait to see it cleaned up.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, i think!!!! :o

Top Member Reactions