Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick question about volume control.

I am not a big fan of headphones in the summer. I live in DC and it gets extremely humid in the summer and those big headphones are just annoying. My question is two-fold I guess.

1. Are there in-ear (Ipod-like) headphones that fit in the metal detector headphone jack?

2. Is there a way to install a volume control on the machine so those loud beer can tones don't eminate across the park and attract the kiddies lol?

Thanks,
J

Upvote 0
Kiros32 said:
Quick question about volume control.

I am not a big fan of headphones in the summer. I live in DC and it gets extremely humid in the summer and those big headphones are just annoying. My question is two-fold I guess.

1. Are there in-ear (Ipod-like) headphones that fit in the metal detector headphone jack?

You can use any typical headphones, or "ear buds". All you need is an adapter plug to plug them into the MD.

2. Is there a way to install a volume control on the machine so those loud beer can tones don't eminate across the park and attract the kiddies lol?

Plug in headphones and the speaker should disengage, so only you will hear it.

Some "smaller" headphones and ear buds, have volume controls on them, but you have to look for those particular styles.

F.

Kiros32,

This is Mel, over the river in Manassas, VA. I swear by headphones....despite the humidity....for a couple of reasons. Number one is that I don't want other people knowing when I get a hit. Too many prying eyes and ears can lead to some uncomfortable situations.........like if you find a ring.....someone hears the tone, sees you with the ring, and then they claim they lost it. Then, you run the risk of an unwanted confrontation. It also saves a lot of prying questions, etc.

Second reason.......to drown out the outside noise. I have experiminted using my Bose Noise Cancelling QC2 headphones that I have for airplane travel. They work great, but do tend to build up a lot of sweat during the hot/humid season. I have not tried the ear bud earphones, but just thinking out loud, I would think too much outside noise would get it. Sorry, but I want to hear my target......not all of the outside commotion of kids, traffic, etc. I don't know how the new Bose QC3 headphones would be....they are are noise cancelling, but fit over the ear and don't enclose it.

Sorry, but I vote for using my headphones, despite humidity. Best advice, though, is to use whatever works for you.

Good luck, Kiros32. Stay safe there in Bethesda.
--Mel

borninok

I've been using a DetectorPro Rattler headphone (only one ear cup) and it is much nicer. 92º this noon at the park and hot. So now I'll probably have one sunburned ear and one pale ear.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back