Tenderfoot
May 31, 2014
SoFlo
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Treasure Hunters!,
I’m fairly New to the Forum and appreciate any information from metal detectorists on the East Coast of Fl.
I’m located on west coast fl, I visited McClarty Museum and checked out the different beach accesses along the way. I read a lot of guys hunting overnight, or out very early for different tide times. If I’m coming from west coast Fl, are there beach accesses to park your car overnight to detect wabasso, sea grape, turtle trail, bonsteel, ponce?
How are detectorists hunting all night, early morning on these beaches if They aren’t from the area or planning to rent a hotel room? Thankyou for any help or info - CJ

Upvote 0
Here ? or in S.C. ? ? ?
Ambersand beach area north of Mclarty, south of sebastian inlet. No great finds yet after storms in SC on beaches. Buckets of trash, pull tabs, caps etc though haha. Occasional jewelry pieces from time to time and dropped clad. My 5 year old found a nice pair of gold frame ray-bans in the surf when we were hunting, no detector either haha

Last edited:
I used to fish Sebastian Inlet a lot in the 80's. There were 3-4 of us usually fishing the tide changes and we were tuned into what was happening. Almost always fished at night. Live croakers or pin fish. I used to sleep in the back of my truck all the time. Never had a single problem. Full size truck bed with a capper, foam pad, pillow, blanket. ZZZZ's. Rode out many a lightning storm that way too.

I used to fish Sebastian Inlet a lot in the 80's. There were 3-4 of us usually fishing the tide changes and we were tuned into what was happening. Almost always fished at night. Live croakers or pin fish. I used to sleep in the back of my truck all the time. Never had a single problem. Full size truck bed with a capper, foam pad, pillow, blanket. ZZZZ's. Rode out many a lightning storm that way too.
Glad to hear it. Seems like a pretty safe place for the times ive been down there. I hunt the beach all hours of the night and come across people fishing, they say hi or give a glance and thats it. I dont use headphones at night so I can hopefully hear if someone/thing is coming up on me at night haha. Ive slept in my truck plenty over the years just dropping the seats back, but im also not in college anymore either

Sandog thank you for your reply and this info! Have you been finding anything good lately over there…
Have not been able to make a really good find at the park YET. However if you have been to McLarty Museum you may have noticed this display:
20171202_123539.jpg
20171202_122820-001.jpg

I found this twin at Fort Pierce Inlet south beach. Looks to the twin of the circled item. The museum added the wooden handles to their piece and as you can see the one I found still had remnants of the handle intact. Don't know how it made it's way south, but I recall reading that a small boatload of French escaped from the Spaniards and went south. I found it almost at the bottom of a cut that was at least 6ft high.
20171126_165348.jpg
20171126_115951-001.jpg
20171126_120037-001.jpg

Have not been able to make a really good find at the park YET. However if you have been to McLarty Museum you may have noticed this display:
View attachment 2107331View attachment 2107332
I found this twin at Fort Pierce Inlet south beach. Looks to the twin of the circled item. The museum added the wooden handles to their piece and as you can see the one I found still had remnants of the handle intact. Don't know how it made it's way south, but I recall reading that a small boatload of French escaped from the Spaniards and went south. I found it almost at the bottom of a cut that was at least 6ft high.
View attachment 2107334View attachment 2107335View attachment 2107336
Really cool find. Ft Pierce is my next stop to hunt on my next trip. Heard a few little birds tell me about some gemstones being found that direction too. Time to turn my gold prospecting skills loose for gems haha

Yes I did see that, now that’s pretty cool, nice find, and that’s a rewarding feeling having your piece of history in the McLarty

Hey Treasure Hunters!,
I’m fairly New to the Forum and appreciate any information from metal detectorists on the East Coast of Fl.
I’m located on west coast fl, I visited McClarty Museum and checked out the different beach accesses along the way. I read a lot of guys hunting overnight, or out very early for different tide times. If I’m coming from west coast Fl, are there beach accesses to park your car overnight to detect wabasso, sea grape, turtle trail, bonsteel, ponce?
How are detectorists hunting all night, early morning on these beaches if They aren’t from the area or planning to rent a hotel room? Thankyou for any help or info - CJ
Hey newnan did you stay in Sebastian Park or one of the beach pullovers I saw leaving bonsteel along a1a?

Unfortunately the imaginations have once again run wild.
Jewelry making did not take place in any form.

Unfortunately the imaginations have once again run wild.
Jewelry making did not take place in any form.
ARC, could you expand upon that statement a bit. Personally I certainly would not know a jewelry making tool from a dental pick. Are you saying the museum has misidentified the tool? Do you have any idea purpose what it might might have filled instead? When I posted pics of my find before seeing the same, or extremely similar tool in the museum display some one suggested it might be used to clean out a cannon wick hole an puncture the powder bag. Kind of risky for sparking I'd think. Could it have been used in the mints? I'd sure like to know what I have here.

Reactions: ARC
ARC, could you expand upon that statement a bit. Personally I certainly would not know a jewelry making tool from a dental pick. Are you saying the museum has misidentified the tool? Do you have any idea purpose what it might might have filled instead? When I posted pics of my find before seeing the same, or extremely similar tool in the museum display some one suggested it might be used to clean out a cannon wick hole an puncture the powder bag. Kind of risky for sparking I'd think. Could it have been used in the mints? I'd sure like to know what I have here.
"wick hole" as you said... is actually called the "touch hole".... and yes... this is more probable.
And or any other application(s).
Anything OTHER than ... heh..... "jewelry making".

One must use a basic overall common sense when determining these types of items... and one must deduce this through the process of elimination...
And jewelry making would be in fact the first on that same list to be eliminated.

IF you would like to me to further elaborate on "why" i say this is... i will first start by saying that there is NO record of any "jewelry making"... in ANY camp situation... OR ANY situation like it.
nor evidence thereof to my knowledge.
And then there is the common sense thing...
Do we really expect to think that IN A CAMP environment... never mind IN A SURVIVAL environment...
That they sat around "making jewelry" out of anything.
This is not only NOT probable... but obviously a stretch of an imagination.

I think not.

Furthermore... the item pictured may very well in fact have been used to "hole" a coin at some time / point in its life... this was done to coins for sewing into clothing not to make jewelry from them...... but to make a fashion statement ... again... I think not.

Oh and i forgot... the item IF in fact for cannon touch hole.... is called a "pick".
And a "vent pick" in some circles.

Last edited:
Furthermore... the item pictured may very well in fact have been used to "hole" a coin at some time / point in its life... this was done to coins for sewing into clothing not to make jewelry from them...... but to make a fashion statement ... again... I think not.

Oh and i forgot... the item IF in fact for cannon touch hole.... is called a "pick".
Thanks for that information. I had never pictured it as a tool actually used in the making of jewelry, but perhaps as a tool used in engraving, as in making dies. If that's how they made dies back then. Because it was found in a known area of the 1715 shipwrecks I suppose it could have been from one of them rather than from the French. And yes we do like to let our imaginations run wild on occasions when we find an item that is really old and consider it's place in history. Makes it fun. Thanks again.

Reactions: ARC
Thanks for that information. I had never pictured it as a tool actually used in the making of jewelry, but perhaps as a tool used in engraving, as in making dies. If that's how they made dies back then. Because it was found in a known area of the 1715 shipwrecks I suppose it could have been from one of them rather than from the French. And yes we do like to let our imaginations run wild on occasions when we find an item that is really old and consider it's place in history. Makes it fun. Thanks again.
Just a little further on this... things like this item were utilized for anything and everything... as were many items of the times.
So... one could say this is a "multi tool" of the times... which it was... i am sure some guy picked his teeth with it... then made a net with it... then cleaned his flintlock with it... then his toenails... then .......... :)
Catch my drift ?
When you are adrift in the wilds of the world ... all things become multi tools when need arises.

SO... with all that babble said.... it is simply....... " A pick".

You may be right in thinking it was used to hole a coin. Many defectors loaded up as much loot as they could until they mostly were caught in st augustine. I could only imagine watching some cross for matanzas area pockets full and facing soldiers as soon as they crossed the channel. I would have dropped all that loot in the water so fast haha, that is unless it was sewn into their clothing to hide it as im sure some probably did. Makes me wonder how many may have done that

You may be right in thinking it was used to hole a coin. Many defectors loaded up as much loot as they could until they mostly were caught in st augustine. I could only imagine watching some cross for matanzas area pockets full and facing soldiers as soon as they crossed the channel. I would have dropped all that loot in the water so fast haha, that is unless it was sewn into their clothing to hide it as im sure some probably did. Makes me wonder how many may have done that
It was common practice through time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back