Tenderfoot
May 31, 2014
SoFlo
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Treasure Hunters!,
I’m fairly New to the Forum and appreciate any information from metal detectorists on the East Coast of Fl.
I’m located on west coast fl, I visited McClarty Museum and checked out the different beach accesses along the way. I read a lot of guys hunting overnight, or out very early for different tide times. If I’m coming from west coast Fl, are there beach accesses to park your car overnight to detect wabasso, sea grape, turtle trail, bonsteel, ponce?
How are detectorists hunting all night, early morning on these beaches if They aren’t from the area or planning to rent a hotel room? Thankyou for any help or info - CJ

Upvote 0
I come from coastal SC. Ive rented a house on vero for 2 nights and detected pretty much every waking minute going with about 2 hours total sleep (after hurricane nicole last year). Also rented cheap hotel rooms around ft pierce too. I will typically go with a couple other people to help split up costs too. If not, hotels can be had close to the beaches you want to hit around 200/night.

That being said, I have also had friends come down and park in hotel lots too, sort of rolling the dice on getting towed and walking to the beach to detect and coming back to move to public beach access once open. Ive never done this as with my luck I'd get towed haha. Ive detected nights in SC at public beaches too, just parking in random business lots without tow away signs up. I just make sure im off the beach before business hours and move my truck to a normal beach spot then. Extra work, but without renting a room somewhere, I wouldnt know what else to do. Most of my hunting is done in the middle of the night too with little to no competition, right in the middle of tide changes, full/new moons or after storms. Good luck out there!

Check out Sebastian Inlet State Park website, open 24 hrs a day, 365 days a year. Hurricanes permitting. Just up A1A from Wabasso. Also Long Point Park, part of the state park if you are camping. Good luck.
Ill have to check it out next trip down. Most times I come down before/right after a hurricane so that may not work, but the hotels generally stay open unless mandatory evac, but I was also able to rent a house during a storm too from vrbo with the owner not having an issue, especially when I told him I was there to treasure hunt only and wouldnt really be using the house except to park and clean up/rest.

Check out Sebastian Inlet State Park website, open 24 hrs a day, 365 days a year. Hurricanes permitting. Just up A1A from Wabasso. Also Long Point Park, part of the state park if you are camping. Good luck.
Which is where i stay when i visit.

Which is where i stay when i visit.
You sleep in a vehicle or do they allow you to camp out? My truck would be big enough, but always concerned about parking overnight with safety etc. I do have a cwp, but curious if anyone has ever had an incident sleeping in their vehicle or camping out there.

Reactions: ARC
Sandog thank you for your reply and this info! Have you been finding anything good lately over there…

I come from coastal SC. Ive rented a house on vero for 2 nights and detected pretty much every waking minute going with about 2 hours total sleep (after hurricane nicole last year). Also rented cheap hotel rooms around ft pierce too. I will typically go with a couple other people to help split up costs too. If not, hotels can be had close to the beaches you want to hit around 200/night.

That being said, I have also had friends come down and park in hotel lots too, sort of rolling the dice on getting towed and walking to the beach to detect and coming back to move to public beach access once open. Ive never done this as with my luck I'd get towed haha. Ive detected nights in SC at public beaches too, just parking in random business lots without tow away signs up. I just make sure im off the beach before business hours and move my truck to a normal beach spot then. Extra work, but without renting a room somewhere, I wouldnt know what else to do. Most of my hunting is done in the middle of the night too with little to no competition, right in the middle of tide changes, full/new moons or after storms. Good luck out there!
Hey BKurent- Appreciate your response and the info I’m heading back this weekend

You sleep in a vehicle or do they allow you to camp out? My truck would be big enough, but always concerned about parking overnight with safety etc. I do have a cwp, but curious if anyone has ever had an incident sleeping in their vehicle or camping out there.
Yes I was curious about the vehicle as well?

i was in an RV.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do :)
You know it could be worse... lots of good things going...

Tacoma is cheaper... and you have another seat for detector and gear.... WHICH,... does not eat much and doesn't talk back... or complain about wanting to quit detecting.

:P

Just dont park in a handicap spot with your hazard lights on... :)

Just dont park in a handicap spot with your hazard lights on... :)
Good points all the way around. Tacoma served well last hurricane, minus not having a bed cover. Just had to remove the child seats from the back to fit all my gear and strap a few gas cans in the back in case power was lost. I have a model with a smaller inverter in the back to charge the detector, phones and other gear.

Good points all the way around. Tacoma served well last hurricane, minus not having a bed cover. Just had to remove the child seats from the back to fit all my gear and strap a few gas cans in the back in case power was lost. I have a model with a smaller inverter in the back to charge the detector, phones and other gear.
Try sleeping under the truck... nice air mattress... little blanky.... fluffy pillow.... drips of grease and oil... some tranny fluid... can stretch out. :)

Nah... truck bed topper is the way to go.

Nah... truck bed topper is the way to go.
Haha, thought about setting up an overland type rig with a tent, but sleep inside at that point becomes more cost efficient for me haha. More money for gas for more trips vs a tent used a couple times a year haha

Reactions: ARC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back