What's new

Wall hangers(old musket)

birdman

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
7,467
Reaction score
2,418
Golden Thread
1
Location
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought this old french percussion cap type musket a couple of weeks ago. I got it fairly cheap and I have always wanted an old musket for the wall. It was built around 1860 or so. I also threw an old Prussian sword up that I have had for a few years also. I have a cannonball by the fire place and the wife said " NO MORE STUFF IN THE LIVING ROOM" I still have a little wall space so we will see. :coffee2:
 

Attachments

  • SANY0204 [640x480].webp
    SANY0204 [640x480].webp
    20.3 KB · Views: 2,034
  • SANY0208 [640x480].webp
    SANY0208 [640x480].webp
    14 KB · Views: 1,010
  • SANY0209 [640x480].webp
    SANY0209 [640x480].webp
    16.7 KB · Views: 854
Re: Wall hangers

" NO MORE STUFF IN THE LIVING ROOM"

Thank goodness for all the other rooms. :thumbsup: :laughing9:

Sweet sword and musket. :headbang:
 
Re: Wall hangers

Other than the sward I really like the trim and dental work
 
Re: Wall hangers

Sweet. Musket......Matt
 
your styl lin now....looks good... :icon_thumleft:
 
I like the gun and sword. I also like the dentil crown but hate putting it up! Trying to shrink or stretch the dentil work can be a pain!
 
You might want to move the canonball. I saw a newspaper article a couple of years ago where someone was using one for a doorstop or something next to their fireplace and as unlikely as it seems, the blackpowder inside actually ignited after all those years and inflicted heavy damage to the home and ijured or killed an occupant. I can't remember which one it was .
 
What does the marking(s) say on the lockplate

Curious of the maker...seems more British than Frenchie
 
I like the gun but also a gun nut and just can't see putting a beauty like that on the wall if it fires ???if it don't then thats another thing but to each their own I do like it though nice.
 
The cannonball has the powder removed . I removed it 2006 along with electrolyse . I would love to see if the musket fires but I would not want to be the first one to pull the trigger.. ;D
CheathamHill, the lock plate says"AE-PROST A. ST EITENNE" .
There were some of these muskets imported by the south during the Civil War but I don't have any of the history of this one. The antique shop said that it came from an estate sale.
 

Attachments

  • SANY0246 [640x480].webp
    SANY0246 [640x480].webp
    16.4 KB · Views: 1,092
  • SANY0245 [640x480].webp
    SANY0245 [640x480].webp
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,045
  • SANY0244 [640x480].webp
    SANY0244 [640x480].webp
    42.1 KB · Views: 455
  • SANY0243 [640x480].webp
    SANY0243 [640x480].webp
    45 KB · Views: 442
Smart decision Birdman on not wanting to be the first to pull the trigger!!! You might wana get it checked out by a gun smith next time you have a chance. :wink:
 
If it's 1860, and the barrel is good you should be able to fire it, but use only REAL black powder, modern powders like pyrodex can split the barrel on an old gun. Talk to a gunsmith first, and make sure the barrel is strong enough to fire. You'll want to know how many grains of powder to load. Also, you can just load it up and throw a few patches in instead of a bullet, still makes an impressive sound and smoke cloud.

I was the first to fire my friends Japanese Arisaka rifle since the day it was dropped on Guadalcanal, it was scary, but it shot like a dream. Gotta love those old guns, there's just an art to them that seems to be missing on modern firearms.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom