What's new

Walrus tusk scrimshaw?

cheese

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
3,337
Reaction score
1,105
Golden Thread
0
Location
South Georgia
I picked this up, among many other things, at a yard sale today. The lady told me it is whale bone, but I don't think so. The engraving appears to be an Inuit/Eskimo hunting a walrus? I got it along with a whole bunch of other items that mostly range from the turn of the century to the '50s. I will be posting some of those for ID as well. Thanks for any info!
 

Attachments

  • 162.webp
    162.webp
    51 KB · Views: 843
  • 163.webp
    163.webp
    24.5 KB · Views: 709
1950+ seems right as its incised with an electric 'tool'.
 
Upvote 0
Whale baleen, so she was close when she said whalebone. Thanks for the help! I don't know why I didn't google the name on the piece. I was stuck on trying to figure out what it was made of. Thanks!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom