Wanted: Bigger coil/more depth from my DFX. Opinions?

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to purchase a bigger coil for my DFX to (hopefully) get a little more depth than I get from the 950 coil that came with the machine. The deepest coin I have dug was MAYBE 6", and I just feel like I am missing many good targets. I browsed through the old posts on the subject, and just solely going on those posts, I believe I would go with the D2. However, the newest post on the subject that I found was from over a year and a half ago, so I was hoping to get some "fresh" opinions. ;D While browsing the KellyCo website, I also noticed a White's "Super 12", as well as SEFs from 10"x12" up to a whopping 18"x15". Anyone have any experience with any of these coils? Which do you think I should buy and why? Thanks in advance for the info. It is very much appreciated!

I don't do any relic hunting to speak of - I only coinshoot if that makes a difference. Price really isn't an option as I'm willing to pay more for more performance.

If you need more info from me, by all means fire away.

ScrugneysGunDogs

Apr 1, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Timing is everything! I have both a 10 " DD and a Super 12 for sale in the classified section. :) The DD coil is good for places where targets and/or trash are located close to each other. In other words, better target separation. The Super 12 shines at the beach where it gets good depth. Shoot me a PM if you're interested. I'll make you a deal if you want to buy both!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Larger coils will of course go a bit deeper but also hinder you when you get two or more targets under the coil at the same time. A DD coil is hot down the center so it can be advanced slowly even in trashy places to get better ID of targets. Have you tried increasing the Gain a might? Are you using good headphones like Black Widow's which allow more sound to reach your ears?

OP
OP
A

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Larger coils will of course go a bit deeper but also hinder you when you get two or more targets under the coil at the same time. A DD coil is hot down the center so it can be advanced slowly even in trashy places to get better ID of targets. Have you tried increasing the Gain a might? Are you using good headphones like Black Widow's which allow more sound to reach your ears?

New headphones were already on the "list." I have just been using the White's headphones that came with the DFX.

As far as tweaking the gain, I haven't REALLY tried much. On occasion I have used the "Deep Silver" program that came pre-loaded. I have also tried a couple of custom programs that I found on the net somewhere. Typically, I just use the coins or coins/jewelry program and the only tweaking I do is to turn the tone ID on. I am very open to suggestions. Please be specific as technical things sometimes have a way of being over my head. :laughing9:

What has really got me questioning my machine is that last time out, my Dad called me over to check a signal he had gotten with his recently purchased Ace 250. I could not make my DFX utter a sound. It turned out to be a flattened piece of lead at about 7". So I know I'm getting nowhere near the performance out of my machine that its capable of.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions