Wanting to buy WOT Coil for Excalibur !!!!

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
Ive had my Excalibur about 3 month's now and I'm very happy the way it has located on the Treasure Coast.

My question is how will the wot coil compare to the standard coil, What will i notice that i am not locating now.

This Excalibur does great on dry,wet sand and i have dug deep target's.
Am i missing target's with the standard coil, And if i decide to get the WOT, will i still swing the same speed,How much deeper can i expect the wot to detect, Also what else can i expect from a wot coil.

Also can anyone tell me if they have dug on any of the nulls the Excalibur locates,So far i have passed up digging,At first i was getting nulls and a slight signal and i just passed digging and realized this was a mistake, Now i dig all signals" but when the excal just sound's a null i keep detecting, I know Sandman has the answers on all these

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm getting ready to head out this morning but will give it a go before I grab the car keys. I haven't used a WOT on an Excal, but have on a Sov. GT, the Excal's land version. You will get more depth for sure than a standard coil. (you didn't say what size coil you are using now.) The WOT covers more area per sweep, this is extremely important. The more ground covered equals more finds. Hard to say what extra depth you will get using it, but more is always better on a beach where targets can be deep. You will sweep it at the same speed too. It is a tiny bit heavier, but not noticeably so.

Nulls are targets the Excal is rejecting. If it gives a slight sound, it is a deeper target and should be dug. If you dig all nulls, you will see that they are iron. I never dug a null with an Excal or Sov that turned out to be a ring.

Thanks for the kind words too Ronald.

Attachments

• Excal  1000 (WinCE).jpg
    Excal 1000 (WinCE).jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 595
  • Excal  1000 (WinCE).jpg
    Excal 1000 (WinCE).jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 577

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I got a WOT for my excal back in February of this year. I've only been able to use it a few times, but I did find that it's going a little bit deeper. The biggest benefit i've found so far is the larger footprint. Like sandman said, the bigger the coil, the more ground you cover.

I found that if I run the sensitivity a little lower than normal, it seems to work a bit better. With the larger coil, the machine needs to digest a LOT more information in the same amount of time. So... lower the sweep speed just a bit, and enjoy.

Oh... make sure you have some decent soldering skills when you get the coil. You need to modiy - READ CUT- your existing coil cable to install the waterproof connectors. I had to do 4 wires on the machine, and then redo (swap) 2 wires on the WOT. Apparently the coil is manufactured in two separate places (or so I was told) and they aren't always uniform

steve

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Humm, people I talked to say it is just a couple ounces heaver then the standard coil, maybe it's different on the Explorer.

I use a shoulder harness so weight isn't a problem on my Excal and shouldnt really be a problem on the new Sov GT and WOT I ordered. Harness supports the shaft, I am just guiding it most of the times.

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
I had the 1000 Excal and went to the 800. I have found more rings with the small coil I think it is more sensitive to smaller thin gold rings. Just my thoughts. The WOT is heavier than the stock coil for sure. Va beach Max uses one on a Soverign he has water proofed for the beach. The WOT will get go deeeeep on the beach but I hunt for 4 to 6 hrs at a time and can not swing it that long so I go with the 8in. I also find the 8in better for pinpointing when water hunting at the beach. When sometimes if you do not get it the first time it is gone.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
If you do the connections correctly, you can then swap the coils back and forth. I have the excal 800, and I also have the 15 wot coil. it is definitely heavier... but again... the bigger footprint covers more ground.

But I also go back to the 8" coil on occasion... depends on the conditions
steve

OP
OP
ronald99

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Sorry for the late reply,

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to respond,Sandman i have the Excal 1000.

I'm real happy i purchased this Excalibur,This detector has located small item's deep in the wet sand, And there has been a few times i gave up trying to scoop the object out,

I'm going back to Fla July 4th,and was wanting to gather comments about the wot coil, But to tell everyone the truth This stock coil amazes me with the locating it has done, And after all the comments about the wot coil,It makes me wonder what else i could be finding if i was a younger man without a spinal neck injury.

This is what i like about treasurenet, Everyone is kind and helpfull

If i decide to purchase the wot coil,Will the sound on recovered item's be the same as the minelab coil,or will i notice different tones

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ronald,

PM me when you get ready to come down to Fla in July if you want company on a beach hunt. If the wife doesn't have something planned the week your here and your near central Fla we can meet up for a hunt.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron, just fyi, don't know if it matters, but if your excal is under warranty, cutting the cable to install voids the warranty. :( Thought about doing mine but it still has 2 yrs warranty left so I decided not to.

OP
OP
ronald99

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Treasure Hunter

Thanks for the info, i still have over two years on my warranty, Sure don't want to hurt my warranty.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now a good used Excal not under warranty, thats a different story..... ;D

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
When I replaced my Excal with the one i have now (The old one got crushed in a car accident >:( ), I grabbed a used 800 from ebay. When I got it, it had about 2 months left on the warranty. So... I sent it to minelab for a "checkup"... and ordered my WOT while it was away. I got my excal back with a clean bill of health, and the next day my WOT came in.

Fortunately the warranty issue wasn't an issue for me. I would reccommend not doing the mod to the excal until the warranty is up, or just about up, just in case.

steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread