What's new

War club or tool?

kenstein

Hero Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2012
Messages
577
Reaction score
619
Golden Thread
0
Location
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this yesterday in a gravel bar in North Sulphur River of northeast Texas (Fannin County). It looks NA, but not sure what it would have been used for. Too small, I would think, for a war club. Maybe a tool, or a weapon for small game? I don't know. Size is 1.25" x 1.75" x2". Any ideas?
 

Attachments

  • IMGP3880.webp
    IMGP3880.webp
    147.9 KB · Views: 158
  • IMGP3881.webp
    IMGP3881.webp
    219.8 KB · Views: 197
  • IMGP3882.webp
    IMGP3882.webp
    134.7 KB · Views: 133
  • IMGP3884.webp
    IMGP3884.webp
    179.3 KB · Views: 166
  • IMGP3888.webp
    IMGP3888.webp
    186.5 KB · Views: 157
Upvote 0
I found this yesterday in a gravel bar in North Sulphur River of northeast Texas (Fannin County). It looks NA, but not sure what it would have been used for. Too small, I would think, for a war club. Maybe a tool, or a weapon for small game? I don't know. Size is 1.25" x 1.75" x2". Any ideas?

I had one just like it. I was told it was a fishing weight for nets.
 
I had one just like it. I was told it was a fishing weight for nets.

Thanks Cedar. I hadn't thought of that. It makes sense. Where did you find yours, if I may ask?
 
Thanks Cedar. I hadn't thought of that. It makes sense. Where did you find yours, if I may ask?

Coosa River in Alabama if memory serves me correctly. It's been a long time since it was found.
 
No doubt about it. Sinker, or net weight.

Nice One!
 
They call them "Waco Sinkers". For a long time it was believed they were all net weights, but nobody is really sure - they could have easily been bolo stones or served another purpose.
 
Cool net weight find!
 
Nice net weight!
 
It's a nice find:icon_thumleft:Be it a weight or Bolo stone
 
I sincerely appreciate all the response from everybody. Honestly I consider myself more of a detectorist and fossil hunter, and confess my ignorance of Native American artifacts outside the obvious arrowheads. Would somebody care to elaborate on Bolo stones? Thanks again.
 
Yep, as Neanderthal pointed out, in Texas such weights are called Waco Sinkers.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom