What's new

War Of 1812 Ordnance Button?

pantherpawz99

Greenie
Joined
Mar 12, 2018
Messages
15
Reaction score
24
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I found this button scuba diving in the Niagara River, near Ft. Erie where I have found many War Of 1812 artifacts.
I have been trying to identify it for a few years with no luck. It is pretty worn, but you can see it is an outline of the ordnance
symbol. Can anyone identify it?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2222.webp
    IMG_2222.webp
    656.7 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2223.webp
    IMG_2223.webp
    454.2 KB · Views: 108
This is what my war of 1812 artillery button looked like. Just so you know, this isn't my actual button, the ex-wife did something with all my collections, but denies it of course, anyhow this is a pic that was previously posted on T-Net... "D"

1812 artillery button.webp
 
Upvote 0
That's a sweet find
 
Upvote 0
Also welcome to tnet
 
Upvote 0
Out of shear coincidence I noticed a similar pattern referenced in another thread as a "Royal Fusiliers" crest. Take a look at this link:

Fusilier Grenade Button: 1812 History

If you look at the back of that button on the link it's marked Paris, that particular design I know was used by the French during WW1, but I don't know offhand when it was first introduced. But seeing as Britain and France were fighting then as well I doubt that they would have been supplying each other with military buttons
 
Upvote 0
This is what my war of 1812 artillery button looked like. Just so you know, this isn't my actual button, the ex-wife did something with all my collections, but denies it of course, anyhow this is a pic that was previously posted on T-Net... "D"

View attachment 1563965

I didn't think it was an artillery button, I found one like you had, and I found this one
 

Attachments

  • Royal_art2.webp
    Royal_art2.webp
    447.3 KB · Views: 79
Upvote 0
I wrote to the British Button Society. They told me they had a member who could identify it, but I would have to pay a fee. I paid the fee, and the guy told me T. Shaw was in business from 1809-1829 manufacturing army and navy buttons, and that it was probably from an artillery, or fusilier regiment. Other than that, he had no idea what it was, they just wanted the fee paid his information. He also gave me the history of the battle at Ft. Detroit, which was useless because I found it at Ft. Erie
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom