Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in the last week or so a person in South Carolina and NH Bob has had there complete finds and collections stolen... what a horrible thing to happen. So please be careful in what you post dont leave any tracks where someone can trace you...
I'm all over the net so I cant do that now, all of my things that are worth anything are in a safety deposit box anyway... but its a shame knowing you have to watch your back even in the sharing of your finds.
NH Bob is a great person and he even held contests and gave away artifacts and coins he has found I am so heartbroken over what some low life has done to him and others.
I learned my lesson years ago when someone stole my comic book collection. HH all and I hope this nevers happens to any of you. jd

OP
OP
j.d. in the usa

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i dont know about the guy in south carolina, but i just saw a message where NH Bob says the police think it was a professional hit and that other homes in the area were hit too... thats all I know

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Yea.......Sounds like a local thing. Word of mouth.I predict they are teens.Was the finds and collection shown to anyone?

RD

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
That's a shame that it happened. I hope that nobody got hurt in the break ins. You gave some great advice. Thanks JD.

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
I keep telling people this and no one listens....you leave footprints on the internet every single place you go. The internet is faceless and PERFECT for criminals.

Many of the members here are WAY to open with their finds. They tell you what they found, where it is, and what other goodies they have. I have even seen Google Earth pics pinpointing their homes or favorite sites. :o

I'm sorry it's happened to the two members but put this face on >:( and be careful what you say in such a public place as the internet.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
A few years back my wife convinced me to get a safe.
And she went shopping.
We had agreed on a gun safe about a six hundred pound (empty) size.

I think she just wanted to go shopping. LOL

She had the thing delivered....
2,011 pounds empty!
Very complicated 4 number combination with a key locked dial.
1 1/2 hour fire rated at 3,500 degrees.
it cost about a dollar per pound.
I guess it was on sale.

The thing is huge.
She then said "You can get that class 2 fire arms permit now."

Sheesh
Things can get complicated when girls get involved.
Break ins only concern me where the family's safety is concerned.

OD

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He who steals my collection steals trash.

Better set our dog on "Crush, Kill, Destroy" mode.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tricia said:
I keep telling people this and no one listens....you leave footprints on the internet every single place you go. The internet is faceless and PERFECT for criminals.

Many of the members here are WAY to open with their finds. They tell you what they found, where it is, and what other goodies they have. I have even seen Google Earth pics pinpointing their homes or favorite sites. :o

I'm sorry it's happened to the two members but put this face on >:( and be careful what you say in such a public place as the internet.

I don't have anything to steal but I've pinpointed the local police station as my home so good luck to the criminal that tries to break in....LOL.

My heart does go out to anyone that has had a break in. Thank God nobody was hurt.

NJ

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
Wow! That is an intense link.

In today's world with theft, Fires, Earthquakes, tornadoes and all kinds of random disasters, no one has any business storing highly valuable items in the house. If you do they best be documented and insured.

There are other places these items can be stored. I do not store gold, rare coins and valuable artifacts in my house. I rent safe space from a coin dealer who has a walk in Vault and a place that looks like a fortress. All items have been photographed and documented for insurance purposes. I have multiple copies with other family members.

Other steps have been taken as far as security for my house. I know my neighbors and tell them when I am gone. I hire a trusted house sitter when I am not in town. My house has up to date locks and security systems and I am registered to carry a handgun.

With that being said, there is a reason people say "If you find something really valuable, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!!"

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
amen - very good post. I know of too many who have been cleaned out. Some with small safes that were carried away. Personally I will only trust a 'safe deposit' box for my coins etc. You don't think it can happen to you but several members on various TH'ing sites have been cleaned out in last couple years.

It's a real shame and it can happen to you. The other thing to mention is - always keep your metal detectors out of view when
out detecting. More than one person has lost all their equipment
from a truck or car because it was clearly visible from outside the
vehicle. Out of sight is definitely the best policy! And "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". Ben Franklin

HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread