WARNING to Potential Treasure Hunters, please, Do Not Buy a DFX.....

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
......Unless of course you want to find ridiculous amounts of treasure! :wink: :wink: :wink:

I haven't posted my finds in a while, I sort of lost my enthusiasm for posting, though not for reading the posts of others. In any case, I made a find this past Sunday that I just felt warrented a post as I won't likely come across a find like this one again any time too soon, if ever.

I was hunting in an old park, which dates back to the early 1800's, this past Sunday with a friend of mine named Lucky. We've hit this park on several occasions and it has produced a few nice coins for us including 5 silver half dollars for me. On a past trip Lucky had pulled out 7 silver dimes, a silver ring and a 1930's, I think it was a 1935, silver reichsmark coin from Germany that was about the size of a half dollar, only a bit thicker. This past Sunday however was my day to shine with three nice silver coins. I started the day off quick with a silver quarter, then moving very slowly, as the trash is just wicked, I got another high tone snugged right in between two trash targets. After hearing the tone I called Lucky over to take a listen, it was bouncing between 88 and 92 on my DFX. It read out at 5" but when I dug for it, it was actually at around 3.5", hence the scar face I gave it. Well just thought this coin / love token was something else, and worthy of sharing. After finding the love token I went on to find a nice walking liberty half. Lucky found himself two silver rings.

I've been using my 5.3 coil, and even at that you really have to go slow and pay attention to the tones. Eventually, I'll go to work on the other targets besides just the high tones, but I'll have to grid it off in 10x10 sections to clear it of all targets.

As for the topic and the other picture, I just have to say how happy I am with my DFX. I have only had the machine for a little over six months and yet I can't believe the amount of Silver I have found with this machine. The coins pictured here are not even all that I found as a few were in such surprisingly good shape I put them in holders, including an 1892 Barber Half. The picture also doesn't show the 6 or 7 silver spoons, the silver religious medals and the wonderful relics, buttons and doohickeys I've found. So it's with much sarcasm that I say don't buy a DFX. Though there is a wee bit of truth in the statement, as I'd prefer it if I didn't have too much competition. :wink: ;D

Happy Hunting All,

Johnny Cache Hunter

Attachments

• 1826 Love Token.jpg
    1826 Love Token.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 2,285
  • 1826 Love Token 2.jpg
    1826 Love Token 2.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 2,278
  • Six Months of DFX power.jpg
    Six Months of DFX power.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 2,271
Upvote 1
I could only hope the park in my town produces so many beautiful old coins! And also that my old 6000/D coinmaster can read them at 6 inches or around there. That is one sweet pile of silver!!! Well done and I hope you can triple that amount out of your awesome site! HH Tom

Great stuff. I get "post apathy" but that is somewhat due to the lackluster finds I make. I really haven't found a seated or barber in a while now. Man, I miss those. :'(

The DFX is a great machine - a lot of times underrated.

Bob

Johnny,

I am very jelous(sp)? Say Hi to Bob for me and call me.

fantastic finds :o I can only dream of a find like that ! congrats :thumbsup:

I'm shooting a White's MXT now and it's been pretty good.You're right......Who need's a DFX with stuff like that.KFB is right,it happen's...... :'( Beautiful Find's!!!! :thumbsup:

I bought a DFX to go with my "ID"less Nautilus DMC 2B. It's a deep hunting machine, but when you hunt CW stuff you dig everything. So, I got the DFX to help in those old house sites.

I sold White's for about 10 years and would try all the new stuff as it came out. I had my personnal likes and dislikes and DFX was a "LIKE."

I had to set aside my XLT to learn how to use it, but it made and impression and here in KY soil was a pretty good relic machine. I dug a shotgun shell once at about 15 inches in a CW area. The bad part was, it was too deep to ID well, but it did sound off and could have potentially been a CW button or other brass.

In mixed mode, I could tell you the difference of an artillery fragment and any old iron relic, by the machines reaction. But, when you go out of business, you sell off your machines and keep what you like best.

Other "LIKES" ...6000 Pro XL or 6000 and the XLT were good.
I wasn't particularly fond of ("dislikes") the QII and the QXT (I personally didn't like the scrolling signagraph) and the MXT (made sounds I didn't like, sent shivers up my spine..I bet it scares of deer and roaches too!)

Sorry, I didn't mean to steal your post.

Thats one of The most intricate Love tokens Ive ever seen not to mention the date and the already mentioned enameling WOW

That is a sweet love token. The big pile of silver is just as sweet. It sure pays to dig through the trash beeps. Wow, I count 6 halves (including the token). Finding halves in Massachusetts is not easy these days. Great job and congrats on the Banner !!!!

Get back out there !!!!!

Brian in MA

Congratulations!!! That is one of the most ornate Love Tokens I have ever seen!!!!!!.....and then to be made from a Capped Bust half is Icing on the Cake! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PS: 'Luv my DFX too!!!

Dale

Now this is one of those times that I wish I had a 'fainting' smiley! :D Good gosh, what some excellent finds, JC! :o That token is STUNNING!!!! 8) Heck, all those finds are fantastic!!

Just WoW!

congrats_3.gif

Nana :)

Attachments

• congrats_3.gif
    congrats_3.gif
    30.9 KB · Views: 818

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back