WAS JOHN BROWN TOLD WHO TO KILL BY THE RADICAL REPUBLICANS?

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep... will look for VLoN at Jones Mem. Library in Lynchburg, Va. or ask around at the L'burg Museum & Historical Society; MOST likely, still in RAGLAND Family possession. I think Peter Viemeister had "access" to it (for review)... DUNNO.

It would be awesome if it was on microfilm or something to be viewed. I for one would be very interested in laying my eyes on that specific copy!

L.C.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Following his relocation to the United Kingdom, he became a distinguished barrister and in 1872 was appointed a Queen's Counsel. A barrister is not an attorney and is usually forbidden, either by law or professional rules or both, from "conducting" litigation. This means that, while the barrister speaks on the client's behalf in court, he or she can do so only when instructed by a solicitor or certain other qualified professional clients, such as patent agents

It is really getting juicy now.......PATENTS! Now to find out what those patents may have been for.....I'm going out on a limb here and I'm going to guess that some of them had a lot to do with some fine inventions destined to make a lot of:3barsgold: for the next generation and many to generations to come....:icon_thumleft:

if the K.G.C. took over the country during the reconstruction, It would start by forming a bank. In 1857 there was a panic. (Read about it) Not a good year for starting up a banking venture unless you had gold and were able to back up the money you were printing...... the k.G.C. would own the reserve literally.

Just keep in mind that OLD MONEY MAKES NEW MONEY And the K.G.C. had tons of old money just laying around to draw from to partner up with. So it could have went like this..............:dontknow:

J.P.Morgan went into banking in 1857 at the London branch of merchant banking firm, Peabody, Morgan & Co., a partnership between his father and George Peabody founded three years earlier in 1853.(first generation K.G.C.) Peabody first visited the United Kingdom in 1827 for business reasons, and over the next decade made four more trans-Atlantic trips, establishing a branch office in Liverpool, and later the banking firm of "George Peabody & Company" in London. In 1837, he took up permanent residence in London, remaining there for the rest of his life. So did Judah Benjamin after the Civil War as a barrister and eventually Queens Council. FOR PATENTS
In February 1867, on one of several return visits to the United States, and at the height of his financial success, Peabody's name was suggested by Francis Preston Blair, an old crony of sixth President Andrew Jackson and an active power in the smoldering Democratic Party as a possible Secretary of the Treasury in the cabinet of seventeenth President Andrew Johnson. At about the same time, his name was also mentioned in newspapers as a future presidential candidate. A merchant bank is a financial institution that provides capital to companies in the form of share ownership instead of loans. A merchant bank also provides advisory on corporate matters to the firms they lend to. (K.G.C. HAD GOLD DURING PANIC OF 1857 THEY WERE NOT PANICkING, BECAUSE THEY STARTED THE PANIC TO GET RID OF THE COMPETITION) In 1858 he moved to New York City to join the banking house of Duncan, Sherman & Company, the American representatives of George Peabody and Company. From 1860 to 1864, as J. Pierpont Morgan & Company, he acted as agent in New York for his father's firm, renamed "J.S. Morgan & Co." upon Peabody's retirement in 1864. From 1864 to 1872, he was a member of the firm of Dabney, Morgan, and Company. In 1871, he partnered with the Drexels of Philadelphia to form the New York firm of Drexel, Morgan & Company. Anthony J. Drexel became Pierpont's mentor at the request of Junius Morgan.
Treasury gold
In 1895, at the depths of the Panic of 1893, the Federal Treasury was nearly out of gold. President Grover Cleveland accepted Morgan's offer to join with the Rothschilds and supply the U.S. Treasury with 3.5 million ounces of gold to restore the treasury surplus in exchange for a 30-year bond issue. The episode saved the Treasury but hurt Cleveland with the agrarian wing of the Democratic Party and became an issue in the election of 1896, when banks came under a withering attack from William Jennings Bryan. Morgan and Wall Street bankers donated heavily to Republican William McKinley, who was elected in 1896 and reelected in 1900.
Steel
After the death of his father in 1890, Morgan took control of J. S. Morgan & Co. which was renamed Morgan, Grenfell & Company in 1910. Morgan began talks with Charles M. Schwab, president of Carnegie Co., and businessman Andrew Carnegie in 1900. The goal was to buy out Carnegie's steel business and merge it with several other steel, coal, mining and shipping firms to create the United States Steel Corporation. His goal was almost completed in late 1900 while negotiating a deal with Robert D. Tobin and Theodore Price III, but was then retracted immediately. In 1901 U.S. Steel was the first billion-dollar company in the world, having an authorized capitalization of $1.4 billion, which was much larger than any other industrial firm and comparable in size to the largest railroads.
U.S. Steel aimed to achieve greater economies of scale, reduce transportation and resource costs, expand product lines, and improve distribution. It was also planned to allow the United States to compete globally with Britain and Germany. U.S. Steel's size was claimed by Charles M. Schwab and others to allow the company to pursue distant international markets-globalization. U.S. Steel was regarded as a monopoly by critics, as the business was attempting to dominate not only steel but also the construction of bridges, ships, railroad cars and rails, wire, nails, and a host of other products. With U.S. Steel, Morgan had captured two-thirds of the steel market, and Schwab was confident that the company would soon hold a 75 percent market share. However, after 1901 the businesses' market share dropped. Schwab resigned from U.S. Steel in 1903 to form Bethlehem Steel, which became the second largest U.S. producer on the strength of such innovations as the wide flange "H" beam—precursor to the I-beam—widely used in construction.
The Panic of 1907 was a financial crisis that almost crippled the American economy. Major New York banks were on the verge of bankruptcy and there was no mechanism to rescue them until Morgan stepped in personally and took charge, resolving the crisis. Treasury Secretary George B. Cortelyou earmarked $35 million of federal money to quell the storm but had no easy way to use it. Morgan now took personal charge, meeting with the nation's leading financiers in his New York mansion; he forced them to devise a plan to meet the crisis. James Stillman, president of the National City Bank, also played a central role. Morgan organized a team of bank and trust executives which redirected money between banks, secured further international lines of credit, and bought plummeting stocks of healthy corporations. A delicate political issue arose regarding the brokerage firm of Moore and Schley, which was deeply involved in a speculative pool in the stock of the Tennessee Coal, Iron and Railroad Company. Moore and Schley had pledged over $6 million of the Tennessee Coal and Iron (TCI) stock for loans among the Wall Street banks. The banks had called the loans, and the firm could not pay. If Moore and Schley should fail, a hundred more failures would follow and then all Wall Street might go to pieces. Morgan decided they had to save Moore and Schley. TCI was one of the chief competitors of U.S. Steel and it owned valuable iron and coal deposits. Morgan controlled U.S. Steel and he decided it had to buy the TCI stock from Moore and Schley. Judge Gary, head of U.S. Steel, agreed, but was concerned there would be antitrust implications that could cause grave trouble for U.S. Steel, which was already dominant in the steel industry. Morgan sent Gary to see President Theodore Roosevelt, who promised legal immunity for the deal. U.S. Steel thereupon paid $30 million for the TCI stock and Moore and Schley was saved. The announcement had an immediate effect; by November 7, 1907, the panic was over. Vowing to never let it happen again, and realizing that in a future crisis there was not likely to be another Morgan, banking and political leaders, led by Senator Nelson Aldrich devised a plan that became the Federal Reserve System in 1913. The crisis underscored the need for a powerful mechanism, and Morgan supported the move to create the Federal Reserve System.
While conservatives in the Progressive Era hailed Morgan for his civic responsibility, his strengthening of the national economy, and his devotion to the arts and religion, the left wing viewed him as one of the central figures in the system it rejected. Morgan redefined conservatism in terms of financial prowess coupled with strong commitments to religion and high culture.
Enemies of banking attacked Morgan for the terms of his loan of gold to the federal government in the 1895 crisis and for the financial resolution of the Panic of 1907. They also attempted to attribute to him the financial ills of the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad. In December 1912, Morgan testified before the Pujo Committee, a subcommittee of the House Banking and Currency committee. The committee ultimately concluded that a small number of financial leaders was exercising considerable control over many industries. The partners of J.P. Morgan & Co. and directors of First National and National City Bank controlled aggregate resources of $22.245 billion, which Louis Brandeis, later a U.S. Supreme Court Justice, compared to the value of all the property in the twenty-two states west of the Mississippi River.
n 1890–1913, 42 major corporations were organized or their securities were underwritten, in whole or part, by J.P. Morgan and Company. (K.G.C.?)
Industrials
American Bridge Company
American Telephone & Telegraph
Associated Merchants
Atlas Portland Cement
Boomer Coal & Coke
Federal Steel Company
General Electric
Hartford Carpet Corporation
Inspiration Consolidated Copper
International Harvester
International Mercantile Marine
J. I. Case Threshing Machine
National Tube
United Dry Goods
Railroads
Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway
Atlantic Coast Line
Central of Georgia Railroad
Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad
Chicago & Western Indiana Railroad
Chicago, Burlington & Quincy
Chicago Great Western Railway
Chicago, Indianapolis & Louisville Railroad
Elgin, Joliet & Eastern Railway
Erie Railroad
Florida East Coast Railway
Hocking Valley Railway
Lehigh Valley Railroad
Louisville and Nashville Railroad
New York Central System
New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad
New York, Ontario and Western Railway
Northern Pacific Railway
Pennsylvania Railroad
Pere Marquette Railroad
Reading Railroad
St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad
Southern Railway
Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
International Harvester..............took the place of what farm equipment?.......SLAVES! Stands to reason, if you can't sell them anymore then you have to move on to what ever the new fangled thing was that worked in the fields..Right??:dontknow: Oh, and of course obtain all the patents.......

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
IF YOU DONT BELIEVE ME, WOULD YOU BELIEVE THE NEW YORK TIMES?

Our readers probably remember the unscrupulous attempts that were made to inculpate Gov. SEWARD in the Harper's Ferry affair. Col. FORBES, who was the principal witness relied on to sustain this view of the case, asserted that he called on Mr. SEWARD and told him of BROWN's plans. This statement was seized upon by the Southern and the Democratic Press as proof that he was one of the original conspirators, and that BROWN was only putting in execution a plot to which Mr. SEWARD was a party.

Gov. Seward and John Brown. - NYTimes.com

L.C. Baker:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Back it up to 1854 when the Radical Republicans were born. Who were their hit men? Who were the leaders of these squads?

Confederated at first for defense against pro-slavery outrages, but ultimately falling more or less completely into the vocation of robbers and assassins, they have received the name --- whatever its origin may be -- of jayhawkers.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
When Brown traveled to Ohio in January of 1858 to check on progress there, he learned that Forbes, disgruntled over not being paid, had turned against him. Forbes did not know who specifically was funding Brown's antislavery operations but he attempted to contact many he believed were Brown philanthropists (including some of the Secret Six) in attempt to discredit Brown, reveal Brown's potential future plans, and in effect blackmail them if he was not paid. This action caused Brown to contact his benefactors and assure them that he still had things in control; but it did delay his plan.

L.C.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Forbes was to be questioned by authorities but...

In conducting the inquiry, the committee deemed it a matter of importance to have the testimony or Forbes. It appeared, however, that not long after the explosion at Harper's Ferry, Forbes left the country, and the committee were not able to procure his attendance before them.

I for one would have liked to hear what he had to say about the secret six.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Read the deception in his answers, or lack there of.

February 24, 1860.
George L. Stearns affirmed and examined.

By the Chairman:

Question. Will you state where you reside?
Answer. I reside in Medford, Massachusetts, about five miles from Boston.

Question. Will you state whether you were acquainted with John Brown, who was recently put to death in Virginia for offenses against that State?
Answer. Yes, sir.

Question. Where did you make his acquaintance, and when?
Answer. I made his acquaintance early in January, 1857, in Boston. It might possibly have been the last of December, 1856; but I think it was after the 1st of January, 1857.

Question. Will you state in what way you made his acquaintance; what led you to his acquaintance; what was his object in forming your acquaintance, or yours in forming his?
Answer. I was introduced to him by one of our Kansas men, meeting him accidentally.

Question. Who was the man who introduced you?
Answer. I do not recollect now. It was entirely accidental.

Question. Were you president of the Massachusetts State Kansas Committee?
Answer. Yes, sir.

Question. What was the object of that committee?
Answer. The object was to relieve the wants and sufferings of the men in Kansas.

Question. In what way was that done? By contributions of money?
Answer. Contributions of money and other things.

Question. What other things?
Answer. Everything which was needed. I cannot specify.

I raised money and sent an agent to Kansas to aid the free-State party in the Lecompton election, and again for the election in 1858.

Question. Was it at Brown's request that you put him in possession of those arms in January, 1857?
Answer. No, sir; but because we needed an agent to secure them. They were left in Iowa, and under circumstances that made it doubtful whether they would not be lost entirely, and we put them into his hands because it was necessary to have some agent to proceed there and reclaim them from the hands they were in, and take proper care of them.

Question. It is stated in the writing, "I, through a vote of our committee, made him our agent to receive and hold these arms and ammunition for the defense of Kansas?"
Answer. Yes, sir; of course they were intended for the defense of Kansas, and that was the object for which they were to be held.

Question. Do you know that the pistols were delivered to Brown?
Answer. The exact statement of the case is, that upon the delivery of the railroad receipt to me, promising to deliver them to him in Iowa, I paid for them.

Question. Do you know, from the admission of Brown or otherwise, that he afterwards got those pistols?
Answer. No, sir.

Question. There are copies of two letters here, among those forwarded by Dr. Howe, did you read them?
Answer. I have not read the whole, but I have read my own letters.

It's called back pedalling to save your own @ss...... pretty damaging testimony if you ask me.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Listen to what this man has to say. It is without a doubt, the closest thing to the truth that I have ever found. He is a professional historian. There are several segments of this interview, all of which are well worth the time it takes to listen.

Thanks for all of the help, L.C. Baker:icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other

I know that Seward was affiliated with these gentlemen. He was the director, they had the funds. In my post #70 you can see the deception. Ask yourself this, why did the K.G.C. attempt to kill Mr. Seward? Where was the gain? I believe it was for retaliation for his involvement with Brown and other Radicals that dealt blows to the South. Andrew Johnson was supposedly on the hit list too, but I believe that was just a good alibi for him. The same way Orville Browning sat at the white house waiting for Lincoln the night he was shot, as if he didn't know where the President was at. Browning had been to see Lincoln on the morning of the assassination trying to obtain a permit for Mr Singleton and himself, so they could make tons of money. He was turned down, but resumed only a few days after Lincoln was killed, trying to get the War department to do the deal. A lot happened that day and night. Just my two cents.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
The hard evidence against John Brown being told who to kill is there. Contained in the list of men he killed and the method it was done in. It was after that when the secret six got nervous, but they still supplied him with the arms to attack Harpers Ferry. Brown received those guns in Tabor Iowa, that's a long ways from Harpers Ferry West Virginia. He went there and set up in a house under a false name. Not the type of thing a delusional lunatic would be capable of.

L.C.

meynard

Jan 28, 2011
John Brown had a good plan with one major flaw. Brown's believed the local slave populace would join in his "revolution" and spread before him like wildfire. Along with his raid on Harpers Ferry, he invaded the local farms of two prominent locals. Colonel Lewis Washington and John Allstadt were taken prisoner. Instead of the mistreated, abused slaves eager for a fight he had counted on, he found well treated, loyal servants. All his arms and preparations were useless without an army to use it.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
John Brown had a good plan with one major flaw. Brown's believed the local slave populace would join in his "revolution" and spread before him like wildfire. Along with his raid on Harpers Ferry, he invaded the local farms of two prominent locals. Colonel Lewis Washington and John Allstadt were taken prisoner. Instead of the mistreated, abused slaves eager for a fight he had counted on, he found well treated, loyal servants. All his arms and preparations were useless without an army to use it.

I have stated those same facts in previous posts, but the point to be made here is, "It was not John Brown's plan"

L.C.

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cannot help but think that some wild forces have been at work along the Bloody Kansas border for a long time. I think John Brown, is just one of several people/groups. Look into the Bloody Benders, Parsons Kansas. Ran a small place along the trail, people would come in, eat, get killed and robbed. They were never caught, and only after a fella started hunting his brother, and came from back East to look for him did they disappear.

The same thing happened later in Cherokee Kansas, only it was a cat house this time.

Not to mention SE KS has a HUGE mine history. Those lead bullets thru WWI? Most of that lead came from mines in SEK. Not to mention, you have a melting pot of history, Welch miners, Italian miners. I can show a direct correlation between current "made men" and families in SEK.

Look at Carrie Nation, another zealot like Brown, got her start in KS. Think that the powers that be benefited from prohibition? Good number of outlaws came out on top of a lot of stuff from her idea that drink was the ruination of the world.

Another reason SEK (as Southeast Kansas is often referenced), you could be in OK, AR, or MO in a heart beat, thus a great way before the police had powers of "hot pursuit", to this day, along the KS/MO border you have to know when chasing a person if it will amount to a felony or not, as if not, you can chase them only as far as the state line and have to hope another agency can pick them up.

I cant say I know anything first hand about the KGC, but I know, from first hand experience many strange things happen in that area, and plenty of mines, caves, strip pits, I know that many things, by chance or design gets interwove with business, and the outlaw trade, to the point some times it is hard to tell the difference. I cant help but think that when you investigate things, KGC or any other group in SEK, you will wind up looking at a pretty big picture, much bigger I feel than most people think!

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
When the secret six was held accountable for purchasing pistols and shipping then to where John Brown could pick them up for use. Don't you think they knew what was going to take place with those weapons?

L.C. Baker Think about it!:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread