WAS JOHN WILKES BOOTH A PAID ASSASSIN????

WAS JOHN WILKES BOOTH A PAID ASSASSIN?

• YES

Votes: 24 54.5%
  • NO

Votes: 20 45.5%

• Total voters
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
powell.jpg ficklin.jpg HD_browningOH2c.jpg

https://books.google.com/books?id=G...zAB#v=onepage&q=singleton and ficklin&f=false

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Cotton would prove to be the South’s only effective form of currency and capital. Confederate leaders, however, attempted to push the export of cotton to England and France only after the Union blockade of the South had become more effective and the price of cotton had jumped dramatically in England. When the Federals captured cotton, it was sold at auction, and the proceeds were deposited in the United States Treasury, subject to the decision of the Court of Claims. In December, 1864, about forty thousand bales were captured by General Sherman at Savannah, Georgia, and sent to New York to be sold at auction. The proceeds of this sale, amounting to many millions of dollars, went into the United States Treasury.”

L.C.

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Booth spent a lot of time in my neck of the woods in W.Pa.. The Oil fields

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Booth was just a trigger man with a hunger for revenge and the K.G.C. took advantage of him to use for the task at hand. He was the same as a squad leader in the service, he answered and obeyed another who was in charge of the instructions of what to do and when to do it. That person was incarcerated the day after the assassination and held for three months in a room sleeping on a board and $hitting in a bucket without ever having charges brought up on him by Stanton who knew he was guilty as hell but could not prove it or get anyone to say his name.

L.C.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
General Sherman's "Christmas Gift" to President Lincoln was the city of Savannah, including the capture of 25,000 bales of cotton.

Dec. 22, 1864 | Gen. Sherman Offers Savannah as a ‘Christmas Gift’ to President Lincoln

By THE LEARNING NETWORK DECEMBER 22, 2011

Dec22LN-articleInline.jpg
National Archives Mathew Brady Photographs Series Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman in 1865.

Sherman’s message was published in the Dec. 26 edition of The New York Times. It read, “I beg to present you as a Christmas gift, the city of Savannah, with one hundred and fifty heavy guns and plenty of ammunition, and also about twenty-five thousand bales of cotton.”On Dec. 22, 1864, as the Civil War entered its final months, Union Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman sent a message to President Lincoln notifying him that he had captured the city of Savannah, Ga., thereby completing his 300-mile “March to the Sea” that had begun in Atlanta on Nov. 16.

The Learning Network - The New York Times

At $1.60 a pound, and an average weight of 500 pounds per bale, that would have a retail value of some $20,000,000.

A tidy sum in 1864!

Of course, there were some "transaction costs" associated with the liquidation of those assets. President Lincoln complained about the high cost of "commissions."

The more one studies it, the more interesting becomes the subject of cotton during the Civil War.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
General Sherman's "Christmas Gift" to President Lincoln was the city of Savannah, including the capture of 25,000 bales of cotton.

Dec. 22, 1864 | Gen. Sherman Offers Savannah as a ‘Christmas Gift’ to President Lincoln

National Archives Mathew Brady Photographs Series Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman in 1865.

Sherman’s message was published in the Dec. 26 edition of The New York Times. It read, “I beg to present you as a Christmas gift, the city of Savannah, with one hundred and fifty heavy guns and plenty of ammunition, and also about twenty-five thousand bales of cotton.”On Dec. 22, 1864, as the Civil War entered its final months, Union Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman sent a message to President Lincoln notifying him that he had captured the city of Savannah, Ga., thereby completing his 300-mile “March to the Sea” that had begun in Atlanta on Nov. 16.

At $1.60 a pound, and an average weight of 500 pounds per bale, that would have a retail value of some $20,000,000.

A tidy sum in 1864!

Of course, there were some "transaction costs" associated with the liquidation of those assets. President Lincoln complained about the high cost of "commissions."

The more one studies it, the more interesting becomes the subject of cotton during the Civil War.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

I believe you will find more information on the truth and facts of the matter in my book, https://www.amazon.com/The-Ones-That-Got-Away/dp/1499593694

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I am reading the excellent April 1865. It states Booth was earning $20,000 a year as an actor - twice what Gen. Robert E. Lee was being paid to command the Confederate Army (and Booth was probably being paid in hard currency - not worthless paper money).

Why would such a rich man need to be paid to be an assassin? It's possible, of course, he was provided with funds for some of his co-conspirators. Apparently Jefferson Davis authorized Secret Service payments of $1.5 million in gold from the cash-starved Confederate treasury in the final years of the Civil War. Then as now, a good deal of that probably stuck to the fingers of the operatives.

There is an interesting theory that Booth was driven, at least in part, by a theatrical tradition of eliminating despotic rulers. At least, that was his perception of President Lincoln.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am reading the excellent April 1865. It states Booth was earning $20,000 a year as an actor - twice what Gen. Robert E. Lee was being paid to command the Confederate Army (and Booth was probably being paid in hard currency - not worthless paper money).

Why would such a rich man need to be paid to be an assassin? It's possible, of course, he was provided with funds for some of his co-conspirators. Apparently Jefferson Davis authorized Secret Service payments of $1.5 million in gold from the cash-starved Confederate treasury in the final years of the Civil War. Then as now, a good deal of that probably stuck to the fingers of the operatives.

There is an interesting theory that Booth was driven, at least in part, by a theatrical tradition of eliminating despotic rulers. At least, that was his perception of President Lincoln.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Sounds like someone is trying to sell a book. There is no way John Wilkes Booth was paid $20,000 a year that would be like $20 Million dollars a year today. Maybe they were speaking of his wages as in today's dollars? Where did you find any information about President Jefferson Davis authorizing payment to the Confederate Secret Service $1.5 Million dollars out of the Cash Starved Confederate Treasury? Did not happen. The Confederate Army of which Jesse James was in with captured $2 Million Dollars in gold on the Red River during the war. This money was sent to Canada under the charge of Secret Service or KGC operatives for covert operations. Some of the money was actually being sent overseas and cashed in to devalue the US Dollar. About $8 Million was sent overseas to devalue the US Dollar as a matter of fact. But no President Davis did not rob any of the Cash Starved Confederate Treasury. I can tell you matter of factually all of the historians and writers are dead wrong about the affairs going on in the Confederate Government. They did not know.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
franklin:

You are a remarkable authority regarding a book you haven't read.

Many Hollywood actors today earn $20M a year. Although I question your multiple of 1,000 to translate 1865 monetary values to 2017.

I did not suggest President Davis robbed the Confederate Treasury. Apparently you didn't bother to read my post. He was accused of using Confederate gold for his personal gain but I don't believe that story.

I will confess to some personal confusion regarding how money sent overseas could devalue the American dollar.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other

A tidy sum in 1864!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

A very sick man selected by a Tyrant if you ask me. BUT that is just my opinion. https://books.google.com/books?id=P...age&q=John Wilkes Booth Nebraska City&f=false

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other

Why would such a rich man need to be paid to be an assassin?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

How would Booth carry that much wealth when he was on the run and in hiding with the most recognizable face in the Nation? I prefer to believe the written truth and simple logic as found here. Great post Buckaroo! L.C.:thumbsup:https://books.google.com/books?id=P...age&q=John Wilkes Booth Nebraska City&f=false

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions