washington and oregon

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
try these from potters--the treasure divers guide book--the clatsop beach wreck--when early explorers came they found the natives were wearing oreiments made from chinese coins--and some members of the tribe had fair hair--when questioned the indains told of a wreck years early by the mouth of the columbia river--there were 5 survivors who lived several years with the tribe and then walked away up the river--a few years ago some chinese coins were examined and found to be dated from 1614 to 1769--if true the chinese money and fair haired indains point toward a spanish manila galleon although research has not proven a loss off of the 1769 peroid, a wreck may lie off the coast
or try this one---the nehalem wreck--years ago beach comber came across strange chunks of stuff partly buried sand about 100 yards from the mouth of the nehalem river---checking it out it was found to be beeswax weigh between 10 to 100 pounds--some on one side had the marking J.H.S.--which is known as "jesus hominum salador" --roman catholic church markings-in 1900 an astoria resident found out how it got there when ships wood was found buried in the sand---one chunk now at the Pioneer Museum in tillamook--carries the date 1679--it was known that beeswax was shipped on Manila galleon for making tapers--recently stroms have spit up new wreckage in the area - teak wood --teakwood was known to be used in building the manila galleons. so a manila galleon may have went down in the area.
third--the treasue cove wreck--legend has it that long ago a spanish galleon carried a "treasure chest"ashore in a boat from its anchorage, and buried it on the southwest slope of mount neah-kah-ne--the are differant spins on the tale--one said the ship later sank--a few years ago the were reports of a wreck found in deep water off the foot of the mountion--who knows--the "old legend" could have some truth in it.
P.S. I only ask in return for the information that I gave you --if you find a fair amount of good stuff --that you send me a coin from the wrecks --stocking my book shelves to have the information to pass on to others ain't cheap and some of the better books cost big bucks--- plus look at all the time I saved you doing boring research, know that good research is often the key to finding wreck sites and thus the good stuff---good luck Ivan

B

Bosun Dave

Petrie'

If you haven't done so yet, check out "Washington Treasure Ship". I'm trying to get some folks together to look for the "Pacific".

Bosun Dave

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Petrie:
Check out three titles: Shipwrecks of the Pacific Coast (1957); Shipwrecks off Juan de Fuca (1968); and Pacifice Graveyard, all three by James. A. Gibbs; about 600 total pages of reading.
Don..

OP
OP
petrie

petrie

Mar 27, 2007
Thanks for the info i will check it out thanks

Petrie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions