What's new

Washington Inaugural Button

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2004
Messages
1,265
Reaction score
13
Golden Thread
0
Location
Vermont
This has been some weekend. I went back to the place that has been putting out all of the large coppers. Started to work on the neighbors property and was not finding much except a wheattie and three neat condom tins from the 20's I think. I'll post them separately. Something told me to go back over to a little rise in the other property. I did and got almost an immediate signal. I dug and pulled out a plug and there was this large colonial button face down at the bottom of the hole. I love the large old colonial buttons and this one still had the loop on it, although it was smashed in. I turned it over, and I wish I had a picture of my face. There looking up at me was the eagle. I new immediately what I had found. I don't think my feet touched the ground as I ran back to the car to get my camera. When things settled down I went back to hunting and found two more large coppers, a 1802 large cent and a very worn King George III half cent. Also found a neat little item with three initials that would have clamped on to leather. Appears to be GEC or JEC. I will have to research that one. What a weekend!!!!!
Lance
 

Attachments

  • August 05 large cents 052.webp
    August 05 large cents 052.webp
    94.4 KB · Views: 6,154
  • August 05 large cents 064.webp
    August 05 large cents 064.webp
    60.6 KB · Views: 6,085
  • August 05 large cents 062.webp
    August 05 large cents 062.webp
    27.9 KB · Views: 6,053
Upvote 4
Here is a couple of more pictures. One is of a very happy me and the other is the area where I have been hunting this weekend....Lance
 

Attachments

  • August 05 large cents 060.webp
    August 05 large cents 060.webp
    77.8 KB · Views: 5,999
  • August 05 large cents 057.webp
    August 05 large cents 057.webp
    77.6 KB · Views: 5,851
Awesome!!!? Please tell us more about the button...? And nice shot of the Creaping Charley Ground Ivy behind the button too, I hate that stuff.? ?;D
 
Very cool Button LANCE.

CONGRATS !

Jeff
 
Lance,
Nice finds! However, there's a big clue on your hat as to where you are searching and people might come and take your spot. :-)
 
SugarSand said:
Awesome!!! Please tell us more about the button... And nice shot of the Creaping Charley Ground Ivy behind the button too, I hate that stuff. ;D

The buttons where made to commemorate the inauguration of George Washington. The edge of the botton says Memorable Era March The Fourth 1789. It is listed in Alberts at WI 1. The button is 34 mm across. The forth of March was actually the day appointed for the organization of our new government. Washington was not sworn in until April 30th. The buttons on the coat that Washington wore when he was sworn in as president were supposed to look like this. There were all kinds of novelties and buttons that were issued at that time to celebrate the event. This is one of them. All this information comes from Alberts Book...Lance
 
WOW WOW WOW I wish I was with you when you found the button. You are like a relic magnet. Great find congrats to you, may the remainder of the month be as fruitful and productive for you. Rick, ;D
 
man lance that place has done you very well.congrats on all the finds.are you going to be hitting that place some more..i hope so..love to see them coppers
 
Thanks for the info, Lance, I see it now on page 387. Very nice find that you should be proud of, along with all the other things you've been finding. Can't wait to see what you dig up next!!!
 
I'm so happy for you, Comfy. You deserve it because of all the great information you're willing share on this forum.

Thanks for the pictures of both you and the property that you're hunting. It makes it so much more exciting for me to see the actual property.

Congratulations again.

P.S. Do you have a price estimate on that button?
 
haupin said:
I'm so happy for you, Comfy. You deserve it because of all the great information you're willing share on this forum.

Thanks for the pictures of both you and the property that you're hunting. It makes it so much more exciting for me to see the actual property.

Congratulations again.

P.S. Do you have a price estimate on that button?
No I don't I was thinking of sending some pictures to Mark Parker and finding out...Lance
 
Great Finds!! Iv heard that those are really rare buttons, probably worth hundreds....I know every time i see one its in W&E magazine under best finds ;D
 
Nice finds, That's one rare button. Probably worth atleast a thousand. I would love to find one of those. I'll keep searching. You need to be in some old spots to make finds like yours.

Keep up the good work
 
Most Excellent! One helluva' weekend!

Chris
 
LANCE!

Your finds are mind boggling to me! You found a button that is TWO HUNDRED AND SIXTEEN YEARS OLD!

WOW!

And those coins! What can I say?! REALLY GREAT FINDS!

;)
 
WOW LANCE!!!

THAT IS IMPRESSIVE!!!

Do you mind my asking how deep it was and what type of soil you had there?

Wow.....September 5th is my birthday too ya know. you could always..... ;D

JT
 
That's insane! :o Congrats! That's the stuff of dreams right there!
 
JT70 said:
WOW LANCE!!!

THAT IS IMPRESSIVE!!!

Do you mind my asking how deep it was and what type of soil you had there?

Wow.....September 5th is my birthday too ya know. you could always..... ;D

JT
Thanks JT, it was at about 6 inches in a nice sandy loam on the side of a hill with good drainage, which kept the area pretty dry. Lance
 
Wow! Thats just great at only 6" i would guess it would be possible for any decent detector to find. I am just dying to find one of those it is at the top of my wish list. what was the detector telling you it was? a penny or something?

thanks

JT
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom