Washington is following California's Lead

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Part of the email from Washington DOE

On June 11, 2020, motorized and gravity siphon aquatic mining is prohibited in waters of the state that are critical habitat under the Endangered Species Act for salmon, steelhead, or bull trout, and all fresh waters of the state with designated uses of salmonid spawning, rearing, and migration.

Motorized and gravity siphon aquatic mining may still be allowed in areas that are not designated as salmonid habitat (potential use areas). See the interactive map of possible mining locations, called potential use areas. In potential use areas, operators of motorized or gravity siphon aquatic mining operations must now apply for and be issued an individual National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) water quality permit from Ecology to demonstrate compliance with the Clean Water Act. This is in addition to obtaining a Hydraulic Project Approval (HPA) permit from the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW).

Mining can still be permitted theoretically, but check out the map of "potential use areas" and see if it's at all similar to something California just released. I'll be the first to say nobody is going to be looking for gold in any of those waterways in Grant or Lincoln County. The majority of them in Grant county are irrigation canals :tongue3: and for the ones that aren't you can count on one or two hands the drainages that ever have any flowing water.

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Damn it, I knew we'd reach this point sometime :BangHead:
It seems to spread like a cancer.

Last edited:

Lycof

Jul 29, 2017
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got to use my dredge one time before it hit. Went through the headache of getting an HPA, for nada. Only waters left in Grays Harbor is west fork of Hoquiam river. 18-36 inch deep mud. Garbage.

Mike, I saw so some post a vid on YouTube the other day of your drive up beach spot down south.

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agh. I'm all for conservation and taking care of the land but I'm sick and tired of all this regulation. I've been looking for new detecting permissions near me and it seems like every good spot is owned by Metroparks, conservancies, or a museum. :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread