Washington State Transplant looking for a mentor to ease concerns

jamescam

Jul 31, 2011
In late June while taking a two week Staycation I was looking for something to do with my kids who don't get enough Daddy Days. After some research we tried out Geocaching with the help of a $10 application on my Windows 7 phone. It was an instant hit with the kids who loved the idea of finding treasure but while I enjoyed the hunt for me something was missing. While on one of our geocaching trips I saw someone using a metal detector and I couldn't get the image out of my mind. After a few weeks of lurking on this site and doing some research I have decided to take the plunge and order myself a Garrett AT Pro and leveraged a BOGO offer to get my twins their own MD to share.

With my detector on the way and still being new to the state of Washington (from Texas & Ohio) I was hoping for some local guidance (the local club is about a 90 min drive from Woodinville, WA). My frets (concerns sound too negative) are:

- After I exhaust my neighbors and my own yards I'm out of ideas where to look - curious as to resources I should utilize as I would prefer wooded/abandoned areas to heavy traffic public parks
- Understandably states further east will have the most Civil War relics, what types of items are usually found in Washington?
- Coming from Texas, I consider Washington a "green" state, not just because of the trees but because of the resident's views on the environment. What things should I keep in mind to avoid any unnecessary conflict - see above on my preference to avoid heavy traffic public parks :)

Finally, are there any Woodinville, WA locals interesting in taking a father, who'd like to pass along knowledge to his own children, under their wing for a hunt or two?

MrPoptop

Jan 3, 2011
Cowlitz County, Washington
Detector(s) used
2 AT Pros and a BH Tracker 4
Lotsa places up there. Grow a thick skin and review the laws call the parks dept. and the local police dept.
Always carry you ID and do a clean recovery.

OP
OP
J

jamescam

Jul 31, 2011
dallgire said:
jumping in with the AT-Pro im very envious of you right now!

I told sold my wife on the "It's a hobby that pays for itself line" :icon_thumleft:
Also the BOGO offer gets the kids their own detector at 1/2 the price so it would be like losing money if I didnt get it :wink:

Nugget Hunter Smith

Jun 18, 2010
Mobile, AL
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the metal detecting community! Washington has several hundred years of people losing things. You will need to do some reseach but I think that is just part of the fun in detecting. Check out the library for local history, talk to the local historical society. Not many get rich (money wise) in this hobby but we do gain wealth through the people and history we uncover.
Have fun and follow the Code of Ethics!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from the Blue Mountains of northeastern Oregon! Good luck!

When you get your new detector, sit down with it and read throught the manual tow or three times in one sitting. :read2: Play with the detector as you read just to familiarize youself with it. Getting to know you detector is the key to finding good treasures with it. When you go out in your yard to practice keep you manual nearby to check out what is going on with the detector. Continue to read your manual occasionally. The real key to great finds is practice, practice, practice with your detector. :icon_thumleft: Good Luck! :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread